Bad Alembic forgery!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4string4ever, Jul 17, 2005.

1. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
  2. caruso

Jun 13, 2005
    Bremen, Germany
    Let Mica know this. She won't be amused.
  3. flea-bass

Jan 30, 2004

wow, thats the nicest alembic I've seen in a while lol
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hmmm how's about a big butterfly inlay on a samick :smug: :D
  5. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Mica? Mica? Who's Mica??
  6. That Alembic is alsmost as nice as the Epiphone Accu-bass I started out with. Looks very similar too ;)
  7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I just hope this gets reported to the Ebay people. That said, I can't imagine anyone remotely kknowledgable about basses falling for such a ragged forgery.
  8. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    And for $200 (IIRC) not really worth the trouble
  9. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Mica is one of the head boss ladys at Alembic. And very nice on the phone as well. She will not be pleased by this... :scowl:
  10. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

Uhh...words fail me. For once.
  11. Gentlemen, don't get too excited about this. I know you want to but it'll get handled here forthwith.

This is quite an old thing that goes on down around the Texas/Louisiana area. Seems that some yahoo in that region pops up occasionally with a whatever no-name brand knock-off of an Alembic Elan and it finds it's way to ebay. The scam has been around for over 5 years and there have been at least 5 incidents that I have seen personally.

Micah will stomp this out quickly like she always does.

As best we can figure - and this came from discussions on the boards several years ago - some guy makes these up at home with a decal kit and some clearcoat and takes them to an unsuspecting pawnshop. The pawnshop, of course, has never heard of an "Alembic" bass and certainly never an "Alembic Elan" instrument. When prompted, they look in the blue book and, sure enough, there's a listing for the Alembic Elan but there's no picture. And, conveniently enough, the Elan isn't the most photographed Alembic ever made. So the pawn shop sees that (for instance) the Elan has a retail of $4500 new and they calculate a pawn value of $1500+ because of condition thinking all along they will make a killing. Now they lend only $500 on that $1500 because that's how pawn shops make their money and the deal is sealed. The guy that brought it in has done exactly what he wanted turned a $99 crap-o-master into $500 cash and the pawnshop owner is sitting on a $1500 pile of ****

My problem now is that this has happened so many times that ebay should already know this is bogus and stopped it in it's tracks when it was listed.
  12. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I don't think ebay should have to sniff this stuff out...they have so many list that it's just not practicle for them to even set up tracers to eliminate these posts. I think ebay hopes that reputable people will report these as fakes. Also, there are unsuspecting people that buy these fakes and try to sell them later that have no clue that these were fakes to begin with. It doesn't make them dishonest, just misinformed.
  13. CrUiSeR

Jul 13, 2005
    If one is trying to pass something
    off as something that it isn't; then
    that would be considered counterfeiting.
    Although the statute may say fraud
    or something similar in this case,
    my guess is that it would be considered counterfeit.
    If I was Alembic, I would pursue it to
    it's fullest.
  14. ArtisFallen

Jul 21, 2004

jeez that's funny.... i wonder if any sucker is actually going to get caught by that one....
  15. Nearly fell off my chair laughing !!
  16. It's worth $200 just for the story.

Thanks, Hambone, for giving us the background. I just wanna know who actually purchased one of these at a pawnshop for $1500 or more... :ninja:

hahaha...great stuff

Question: Does "Alembic" make golf clubs, too? :bag:
  17. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    These are the same kinds of Basses sold out of Cash America Pawn Shop in Texas and Oklahoma with the Name "Ken Smith CR4" or something close to that. Recently, the exact same POS 'P' model was on Ebay called a Smith. I warned TBers, Contacted Ebay and the Seller. The Seller was a "Power Seller" and didn't like hearing from me. He reposted it after it was pulled off one time. Other names have been used on these JUNK P Basses over the past few years. No one with any Bass smarts would ever buy one.. We Hope!
  18. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Bwahaha - I also started on an Accu-Bass, and was thinking the same thing. :D
  19. I just bought a Ferrari GT350 on e-bay for $7000.

I didn't know that the engines were made in Yugoslavia. :ninja: