Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bad Ass Bridge?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SGT. Pepper, Dec 6, 2005.

1. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Someone wrote a post here commenting on the Bad Ass bridge saying that the saddles weren't slotted. They were never cut deep but they had somewhat of a slot before.
    Now however, they have nothing! You have to get them slotted! I DON'T BELIEVE IT!!
    These companies make me sick! Anything to save a buck! Now I gotta go to a techie and get the damn saddles filed out. ****! What would have been a sweet do-it-yourself upgrade has turned into a project. :mad:

MOD EDIT: PLEASE REREAD THE USAGE AGREEMENT.

2. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    So buy a better bridge for cheaper. Try for a Gotoh drop-in Fender replacement to start with.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Chill out.

4. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    They left it unslotted so that you could get it slotted perfectly for your bass. They are a drop in replacement for a Fender, and Fenders are not always exactly the same in regards to how the strings line up with the neck and over the pickups. If all Fenders were perfect in regards to how the strings line up, they could have made them preslotted.

5. Um, no. They've until now, NEVER had a notch, and it wasn't to save a buck, it was an attempt, back then, to allow you to customise your string spacing per instrument.

They NOW have a slotted version (3 slots per saddle). So get that one.

I just can't believe you're this worked up over something so trivial. It's been this way since the 70's with Leo Quann, so you must have been sick for a long long time.

6. ss81

ss81

May 29, 2005
    For the record, I just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of those who felt no need to slot their badass bass II bridges and whose basses sound just fine...

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Easy there, buddy. You're going to blow an o-ring if you keep getting worked up like that. :D

Just go to Home Depot or even Radio Schlock and get some needle files. It's not that big a deal, and you can get a set for under $10. They come in handy in all sorts of projects anyway, so it's good to have a set on hand.

8. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I put one on a MTD Kingston 5-string without the slots and it worked just fine. I think it would work out better if it wasn't slotted; the strings pressing against the saddles will create a mark in just the exact spot for the bass techie to file the slots.

9. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    What is the big deal??? :meh: It took me a whole 40 minutes to cut the slots and install the bridge. Home Depot has a modelers file set (around $10) that has everything you need.

If I knew it was so easy to do, I wouldn't have paid to have it done on previous basses!

10. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    I for one would appreciate a step-by-step on how to do this; I'm planning on a BA II on my SX within the next few months and don't want to screw it up. PM me if you wish. Thanks.

11. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Wow. I clicked on your profile expecting to find a 14 year old. :meh: Lay off the caffeine.

12. ss81

ss81

May 29, 2005
    Hey guys, lay off the guy, geez. I'm sure he's not really that enraged over it, he's just irritated (understandably so, if he wasn't expecting to have to slot them himself) and he wrote a post venting about it. Some people are just more passionate writers than others...

I still think you should just try not slotting it and if you think it really affects the tone of the bass then see about having it slotted.

13. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    First I measured the string spacing on the orginal bridge and then marked the saddles on the Badass. To make sure the strings are positioned correctly I use the space between the two center saddles (would be the A and D strings) as a center line and measure out from there.

Next I started the grooves with my Dremel (I am doing all this before I install the bridge, don't want to take a chance to scratch the bass). Just enough to act as guide for the the files.

Then I started filing with a trangle file (got these files at Home Depot - $10 for the set) Then I rounded the grooves out with the round file, sizing them for the strings. Then I smoothed out the edges with the small flat file.

I made the grooves so the about 1/3 of the string sits in it.

Then I un-screwed the old bridge and put on the Badass with the supplied screws. When installing the new bridge, make sure that if there is ground wire under there, that it contacts the new bridge, or you'll get a electrical buzz.

And that's it....Import....TAKE YOUR TIME. I think total it took me around 40 minutes to cut, install and setup.

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Sgt. Pepper -

Look at it this way - if you learn to do it on yours, you can charge other people when you do it on theirs!

15. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Buy a Gotoh. :) But the BAII looks fantastic, if cosmetics are your thing, get the BA and notch as described by others.

16. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    I've used them both ways... slotted and un-slotted. There was no difference. I'd just install it and slap the strings on. If you then want to control your string spacing, then align your strings where you want them to be, take a pencil and mark off the outsides of each string. In the middle of each set of marks is where you file. The notch doesn't have to be that wide either, just straight (parallel with the string).

17. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Hey Fellas and Gals,
    I was not really as mad as my post sounded or looked.
    I was just trying to project my thoughts.
    I do have a tendency to get passionate about things but I really wasn't that mad.
    Im sorry if I gave anyone the wrong impression. I was annoyed by it but my tech is going to install it, file notches in it, and set up the bass for $20.00. I know I could probably do the job but I have never attempted it before and I would at least want to watch someone do the job before I did it myself.
    I must say to those who gave instuction and advice, thankyou.
    Just for future reference, don't take me too seriously I write with a lot of sarcasm at times to try to create a laugh or two.

:D :spit:

18. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    $20 well spent IMO

19. I'd imagine you'd want the strings to fall on the correct area of the pickup and the neck. To me that means putting the bridge on and stringing up the bass, putting the strings in the proper place on the saddle- making sure your strings are over the polepieces and not too close to the edge of your fretboard. Mark the saddle, and notch. You don't need a trough for a notch.