Bad Ass II Bridge?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jodathmorr, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Anyone heard of these? I've heard they can drastically improve the sound of the guitar on some models.

Can anyone back this up? Where could I get one? How much? Would it be worth it to throw it on my Essex BG-150?
  2. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I've got one on my P Bass, and I've been really pleased with it. I haven't noticed any drastic change, but I also changed brands of strings when I changed the bridge, so the bass sounds ALOT different now. Much better, but I don't know how much of that is strings and how much is bridge. I think you can find them fairly cheap on eBay.
  3. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I would not buy a used one since the saddle groves will have already been cut in it for the previous bass it was installed on which probably won't be correct for your left handed model.

Here's where you can get them cheap online:

BadAss Bridge

And make sure you select the Bass II model if you order it from there.

And by the way I did install a Badass II on my SJB-62 and like it a lot. I don't know if I would use dramatic as a description of the sound improvement, but it is definately better than stock.

If you don't don't want to fool around with cutting string groves consider getting a Gotoh 201 from Warmoth. It's should be a direct replacement for your bridge. I have one of these on my BG-80 and it made a significant difference in the sound of it. It costs less than the BadAss as well.

Also do a search for BadAss on this forum, this topic has been done many times.

4. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    What's the difference between the Badass I and Badass II models? Is it basically just the mounting holes? I like the look of the original better.
  5. I've seen these go for $20 brand new on ebay, so keep an out.

Give about 5-10 bux for shipping!
  6. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I believe the BadAss I is a replacement for Gibson basses. I don't think it is a direct replacement for fender bridges without modifications.

7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey my advice for ya! They do make a great change! But dont get the black one! The black comes off really fast!
  8. I have the Bad Ass II on my Steve Harris Fender. It's great, but it came with it so i wouldn't have anything to compare it to.
  9. I think im going to be ordering the Warmoth one (along with a host of other things from there :)) because i don't want to mess around with holes.
  10. Buy one. That's my advice. You WILL hear and feel a difference.
  11. Piobaire

Jan 8, 2003
    My BA II did the same thing a bit, only on the saddle for the E though. That seems to be the area that got the most sweat/hand contact. I touched it up with gun blueing and it looks better than the day I got it.

Seamus Piobaire
  12. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    If you want a nice, heavy, punchy bridge, just get a atk.....

A bridge? thats a bridge? Naw,,,

........ THIS is a bridge.....

Just kidding. the badass 2 is certianly a great bridge.
  13. Will the BadAss 2 work on new Fenders with string-thru body? It seems like it would, but I'm wondering if anyone has done it.
  14. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    If your speaking of the fenders that have the holes in the body, right below the bridge, then yes. There should be no problem at all. But if the bridge is vital to the stringing, of course it wouldnt (i'm sure you thought that threw) work. Early MM's had thru body stringing,,, SWEET. they had the holes in the body, right below the normal bridge, string them like normal, you just run them thru the body first.
  15. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    I was instructed to not cut slots in my BAII saddles. I have a MIM Fender Jazz and I did not cut slots in it. It works just fine. The guy said that it would intonate much better without the slots. If you think about it, acoustic guitars do not have slots in their bridges until they are worn there byt string friction. It can contribute to string breakage in acoustics too so it is recomended not to have the slots on an acoustic. It makes sense to not have them on a bass too. It does intonate very well and it holds it too. The piece of junk that they screwed to my bass from the factory simply would not stay put. The saddles would tighten and losen at will. I had to constantly adjust the saddles to make sure the bass was intonated correctly. I noticed that the bass was more punchy, had a longer sustain and I feel it is more responsive to the touch.

Let me add one thing. I believe the BAII is supposed o be a direct replacement for the MIM Fenders. They are already set up for that string spacing at the bridge. If your string spacing is different than that at the bridge then you would probably need to cut slots in the saddles to maintain the same spacing.