1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bad Back need to make S15D lighter

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mikefish07, Apr 12, 2006.

1. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    I've been using a BagEnd S15D for a couple of years now and I've been very happy with it. I've developed a bad back and need to cut down the weight of my equipment or give up playing. I really like the size of the S15D and was hoping that I could cut down the weight by putting in a Neodymium speaker. Can anyone help me with the following questions:
    1) Does BagEnd make a neodymium speaker replacement that I can put in the S15D?
    2) What are the specs for the stock speaker in the S15D? and
    3) Will a Eminence DeltaLite 2515 or Celestion BL15-400 work as a lighter speaker replacement?
    Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The bad news about the Neo cabs is that much of the weight savings is due to not just the lighter magnet of the neo speakers, but the lighter wood that can be used since the cab doesn't need to support all weight of a regular speaker. I'm not sure how much weight just swapping out that 15 for a Neo... especially that you will only be impacting a single speaker/magnet versus a multiple magnet/speaker cab. (I'm pretty sure Bag End does not make a neo speaker, but I'm sure you can find an Eminence Neo replacement).

I would highly recomment checking out an Epifani Neo112UL.... it won't be quite as mid punchy as your Bag End, but it's small and REALLY lightweight, and will be as loud or louder with the same wattage.

Good luck.

K

3. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    1) Definitely no (and no indication that they will in the near future)

2) Specs are here: http://www.bagend.com/bagend/s15-d.htm

as for question no. 3, I'd be interested to hear what others have to say since I don't know myself...

4. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    For lugging it around may need to get "roadies" or people in your band to help out...

There probably isn't much you can do otherwise. I would say have people help out up and down the stairs and in and out of your car. When it comes down to you moving the stuff from there, maybe get a Dolly with those handles to help take the weight off.

You may even want to sell those cabinets and get ones that are lighter. You would really notice a decrease in your tone because EVERY lightweight cab isnt as high of quality. Hartkes for example are light but dont pack a lot of punch

5. Casters, with locking wheels!! Home depot has 'em on the cheap!

6. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    ???
    Evidently my lightweight EA nl-210 sounds like poo. Am I reading your statement correctly? Are you actually saying that EVERY light weight cab isn't as high of quality?

7. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Thanks guys for some good feedback. I was hoping that putting a neo in the S15 would shave off at least 10lbs making the cab only 34lbs. I'm not that speaker savy so would putting a Eminence or Celetion Neo in the cab be acceptable? I have good band mates that help me as much as they can but I always feel that I'm imposing on them. I've looked at the epifani UL112 at 30lbs but I thought changing the speaker would be a cheaper and possible louder (15" vs 12") route. Thanks.

8. Wild Rice Chris

Wild Rice Chris

May 7, 2005
    Palatine, IL
    Rice Custom Guitars, Inc
    I was just looking into the Jensen Neos for some guitar amps. Their 15" is recommended for bass. In my travels I found a really good deal on them (cheaper new than they go for on eBay...). PM me if you'd like his contact info.

I believe the raw Jensen speaker is something like 1/3 the weight of the Bag End speaker.

9. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I have a Bag End S15D cab that I bought empty, and I put a 4 ohm Deltalite 15 in it. I can't really compare the before and after weight and tone difference that you would feel, but it sounds good to me. I use it as my practice cab, and it holds up well.

It doesn't feel super light, probably because of the wood used in the cab as stated previously, but it's an easy one-hand carry.

10. appler

appler Guest

Bag End cabinets are made with really sturdy materials. I'm not sure how much weight you'd save by replacing the speaker. Flite Sound makes a couple really light cabinets with fifteens but I don't know if they're as strong as Bag End cabinets.

I'd like to know if this works out well for you. I might do the same thing.

11. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Well, that isn't true, at all.

12. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    An UL115 according to the Epifani site weighs 43lbs and it has a neo speaker in it, your S15 is 44lbs one lb more.

13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The UL115 is a much larger box (and is about the same weight).... the 112UL would be the way to go to really eliminate the weight, and would compare well volume wise with the D15.

14. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Thanks for restating my point.

15. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Sorry... I read your post as thinking I was recommending the 115UL from my earlier post (which obviously wouldn't help him) versus the 112UL which very much would. I'm still not clear as to your point (I guess I didnt' see the 115UL come up earlier in the discussion).

16. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    How in love are you with the Bag End's tone? My S15 is a keeper because I have yet to find a cab that does what my beloved S15 does.
    A replacement speaker won't shave off that much weight. An Eminence Delta has an 80 ounce magnet, while the DeltaLite has a 7 ounce magnet. The difference is about 5 pounds. Honestly between the S15 (44 lbs) and my old SWR Workingman's 12 (39 lbs), I probably couldn't tell the difference.
    But I do believe you will lose some of the tone of the S15 by replacing it with another driver. The cab is tuned to the specific speaker, and by replacing the speaker you're not going to be putting it into a cab optimized for that driver.

The Epi UL112 is lighter and equally as loud, but it's a different tone and character.

17. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1

18. I just picked up another load of Baltic Birch, and bought some 3/8" material this time.

I think you can pull off a 3/8" BB cabinet if sufficiently braced. A good guess is bracing spaced no farther than 6" apart. I use a set of Forstner bits to drill big relief holes in my bracing to reduce the weight.

Neo drivers are indeed lighter weight. How they sound depends on the cabinet, and the particular driver.

Replace metal grille material with Pet Screen. Use aluminum screws to replace steel screws. Ditto for mounting hardware. Remove metal handles and replace with a strap type.

Spray paint the cab instead of applying covering or DuraTex.

Hire an amp bitch.

19. Mikefish07

Mikefish07

Apr 6, 2003
    Thanks again for the feedback. BagEnd told me that the speaker in the S15D is a E15 weighing 16lbs so if I change to a DeltaLite 2515 Neo witch weights 7lbs, I should end up with a cab at 35lbs. I've been looking at the Epi UL112 but wasn't sure if it would be as loud as the BagEnd. I also have a EA112L but it's 45lbs and not as loud as the S15D. Do you guys think that a UL112 would be as loud as a S15D? I really didn't want to carry more than one speaker. Any other suggestions for a loud and light speaker cab?

20. appler

appler Guest

Is the Epifani UL112 really as loud as the Bag End S15-D? That seems unlikely, considering the larger speaker and prominent midrange voicing of the Bag End. Anybody compared the two directly?