bad bad tone, stings maybe?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Lakini's Juice, Feb 28, 2002.

1. on my carvin, which is a fretless, i have on Daddario Chromes, high finish ribbon wound. now these worked fine for a while, never loved the tone they gave but i could deal with it. but now, my guitarist tunes down to some odd tuning with his gibson, so now with my carvin i need to match his tuning. so now my tone is just horrible. it sounds all muddy and whatever i do to my bass or amp it doesnt sound good. i am thinking it has to be the strings and how de-tuned they are. so is there a brand to sting that wont tear up my fretboard but wont sound to muddy being tuned so low?
  2. Don't de tune, Transpose, or get a 5 string
  3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    If you need to be tuned lower all the time, I would suggest heavier strings. If you're changing back and forth during each gig, you may have to go with roundwounds to keep some brightness. Some loss of brightness is inevitable, though, when detuning a given set of strings.

Nickel roundwounds (like D'Addario XL's) are the easiest metal on the fiingerboard, and Elixirs are even better being Teflon-coated. They're pricey but IMHO pay for themselves in the long run because they last at least a year.
  4. it is a 5-string spectorman.

and i dont have to switch between tunings. my other bass is in regular tuning, which is the one i use the most.

thanks for the help eli. i think i will try the elixirs. the ones i have now just arent working.