Bad Bassst

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jacob Painter, Mar 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jacob Painter

Jacob Painter

Jan 15, 2003
    Timpson, TX
    Hi, I am 15 and a bass player. I have a lot of friends that play bass and only one of them is as good as me and he has been playing for twice as long as me. All my other friends play power chords and play only crapy punk while i play rock, jazz, slap, and any other bass tech. that I find interseting. Then when I hear my friends say they hate slap bassist it really breaks my heart. Also on a side note why are there so many sucky bassist in bands now-a-days. Were more people like pual from TOOL or rhino from Mudvayne.

P.S. You may think im fool of my self when it comes to playing bass but I've had people that have played bass for a long time said I was really good and I'm only 15. I wish there was more reconishment for bassist.
  2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    get off your high horse
  3. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    How much for an autograph? :rolleyes:
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Listen to Jaco. Then write a 2 page report on why you aren't as good as he use to be and then get back to us. Size 12 font, double spaced.
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
  6. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    You won't go anywhere with an attitude like that, especially if you don't learn to spell or use grammar.:rolleyes:
  7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    1 inch margins on all sides! no 1.25 on the bottom!
  8. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    P.S. You may think im fool of my self when it comes to playing bass but I've had people that have played bass for a long time said I was really good and I'm only 15. I wish there was more reconishment for bassist.

well we do but besides that, :D when I was a young lad....I mean about 3 years ago when I started bass everyone said that to me. I beleived them....probably shouldntave, I didnt learn any theory at all for a while. Theory is a MUST even if you only know the basic things you can create stuff with it.

now.........look what I can do.:bassist:

9. Hi im a 15 year old bassist who is almost as good as that kid whos better then me. My friends all play that punk crap while im into more interseting music such ass jazz and Korn. It truley breaks my heart when my 13 and 14 year old friends tell me salp bass sucks, it just rips me up. Were more people like pual from tool or rihno from mudvane.

P.S- Will someone please do something for our children like jacob
  10. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Take it from someone who's been around the horn several times. I've been actively playing for nearly 50 years and I've met and played with a LOT of people.

Among other things I've learned about people: If a musician says that he is really good, it's almost a certainty that he is not nearly as good as he thinks he is!

If a musician has only been playing for a short while and says that he is good, he's delusional.

Musicians that spend much time telling anyone that will listen how good they are usually play a lot by themselves. The reason being that NO ONE likes a swelled head. Not even other braggarts.

If you spend much time on a high horse you ARE going to fall off.

A little humility goes a long way. musicians with no humility just fade away.

11. What's a "reconishment" and why don't I have one?

I used to think like that too... until I played with other people. Then the truth hit me.
  12. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Well, to be fair - there are the odd few.

The Jacos of this world. People who have a gift for picking up things very quickly indeed.

But I can't say I think we're dealing with one here :D

So, Mr Painter - what sort of Jazz do you play? What sort of artists are you into at the moment?
  13. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    ...Actually, I'm sure I've got a suitable graphic for Mr Painter. How about this one...

14. DougD

DougD Bassman7654

Sep 19, 2002
    North Las Vegas NV
    I don't want to beat a dead horse but I gotta say this.
    If you are good and you know it, let your playing do your bragging. There is no problem with being proud of your accomplishments and abilities but you will find out later that people really don't like to hang with a braggart. You will also find that people would rather have a person in there band that can bring a positive vibe (not just chops) to the situation. I personally would rather play with a person that has less talent and a better attitude than the type person that thinks he is gods gift and lets everyone know it.
  15. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    If you find one let me know, I want one too. I was this way too, but now I realize that I have a long way to go still. It depends on your surroundings, if you're surrounded by crappy musicians, you'll think you're god.
  16. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Double, nay, triple word.
  17. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001

At least he didn't post in DB!!!
  18. Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Maybe you do have talent as a bassist - more power to ya. When I was your age I thought anything that wasn't *Metallica/Slayer/Iron Maiden* sucked. I could play all their songs and twice as fast. Had an ego, boy was I foolish. Then I grew up and broadened (is that even a word?) my musical horzons and learned to appreciate musicians of all kinds...I feel I am MUCH the better for that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.