Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bad Brains help needed!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Feb 23, 2003.

1. I need help learning anything by them. They are one of the only bands I listen to and can't play any of their songs, it's embarassing. I just can't get the tunes by ear and can't find any information on the net. I'de love to learn stuff like Rise, and Without You. Throw in some Pay 2 Cum and a lot of the old school stuff. Basically, any help with any song by them would be greatfully appreciated. But I might be way over my head here....Just hoping you guys can help.

2. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    Continuing from our PMs ... do you have a teacher or could you take lessons?

Basically if you can be proficient at a cross-section of the Brains material you'd be a monster rock, punk, gospel, reggae, finger funk, and slap player.

Then you could help us !!

3. yeah i cant get lessons, so i rely on you guys, but to no avail Smash may be the only one who cares about little old me....

4. SMASH

SMASH Guest

Jan 18, 2000
    Canada.
    What timing! I had just sent you a PM to start off on learning the tune you'd asked about. I also said I'd post general Daryl info here so :

He's schooled in jazz/fusion and is a Rastafarian. From there we add a jazz bass and an SVT with 8x10. You can get his recorded tone pretty dead on with a J strung with nickel rounds, with both pickups full-on and some grind in your tone (or J humbuckers in series with not much amp grind, as with my RB5).

You're going to have to develop a well-calloused and fast right thumb. He sometimes uses a pick for the older/faster stuff but sometimes just uses his thumb as if it were a pick and doesn't seem to care much which way he does it.

For using a pick if you anchor your hand by placing your pinky, ring, and middle fingers on the bass and hold the pick with your thumb and index finger and from there it's all in fast sweeping done with the fingers, not the wrist or arm, and letting the amp do the work. On those tunes he's basically copping the guitar lines, so think "guitar" and not heavy downstroking a-la Newstead. If you're using your thumb you don't have to anchor your hand, or you can adopt the same right-hand anchoring he uses and just use your thumb as if it were a pick.

I'll suggest going with the thumb 'cause it's a valuable technique to learn and if you're imitating Daryl there'll be chording and complex slap/popping involved at some points so we've got to get the thumb toughened and up-to-speed.

Fingerstyle is the bulk of Daryl's action, and his dub riddims are played softly with the amp doing the work. Often he plays that with thumb while muting with the palm of his right hand.

You're going for fluid motion and a percolating deep fundamental but tight tone. It's all in the right hand, basically, and to cop his moves you'll have to develop a good technical proficiency in several styles. He's nothing short of masterful, and his lines groove massively while ferociously kicking major ass.