1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bad cables testing good

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Duder, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    I've bought a few instrument and patch cables from one company over the last year. They're not top of the line, but a decent brand. About two months ago one of the instrument cables crapped out on me at practice. No biggie. Last night two of the patch cables went bad at a gig. Ouch! I brought them home and tested continuity and all of them show less than 3 ohms resistance. I checked sleeve to sleeve and tip to tip. I also checked tip to sleeve to see if there was a short. It all looks good. The patch cables are 6" so there hasn't been any improper coiling. I can't lie and say the same for the instrument cable. I'm doing that correctly now. How else could they be failing?

2. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Are the tip and sleeve conductors insulated from each other (are they internally shorting?)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  3. You probably have intermittent failure. Did you try wiggling the cord around, every which way, while testing?

ddnidd1 likes this.
  4. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    Not really. That's a good suggestion, I'll try that tomorrow.

I didn't open them up yet simply because I can't separate the jack cover from the cable without cutting it. They're connected by a coat of rubber/insulation. I might have to out of curiosity, though.

5. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    On a Marantz hi-fi power amp of mine, I went through several patch cords and replacement RCA jacks until I discovered the problem was a bad/oxidized turret post connector inside the amp.

Duder likes this.
  6. Duder

Duder

Dec 6, 2014
    Florida
    I thought I might try them on a different amp tomorrow. I at least tried switching them between spots in the chain at the gig until I found one that worked.