1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bad carvin b800 hum

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Linas, Feb 16, 2008.

1. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    So if i am within 4 feet of my carvin b800 it starts to hum really badly. I have tried this with my ric and my cort (has humbuckers), and still there is hum. I have tried this in different homes and the same thing. The head is under warranty for a year, but i am wondering if this is something that is something i need to live with or if i should send it back for a new one. My eden wt-300 or my peaveys never did this. It sucks having to tweak with my EQ because it hums so bad.

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Tried different cables?

3. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    yes.

4. BryanM

BryanM

Dec 15, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I had a similar situation recently with a Carvin BR610. It's right now on a truck from San Diego back to me. I tried multiple basses, one with humbuckers, changing out the speaker cables for new ones, the instrument cables, tried in several locations including a commercial building with an industry grade electrical system and was still getting severe ground hum. I checked all the ground points on the chassis and scraped all the edges around the pots to no avail. I'm really hoping this issue is resolved with the amp they're sending back, whether it's mine or a replacement, otherwise I'm in the market for a decent-sized combo amp or head/cab under $600, and have to give back the Carvin, which I really like the sound of aside from the hum.

5. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    ^^, was your amp under warranty? Did you have to pay for shipping it back to them?

I think i will shoot an email over to carvin and see what they think about it. But i was just seeing if anyone had a similar experience with this head.

6. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have a b800 and it is dead quiet.. except for the fan which is audible at living room volumes.

I'd call carvin fer shure.

7. BryanM

BryanM

Dec 15, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Mine was actually brand new off the truck, but they covered all expenses no problem.

8. It is quite normal for your bass to pick up hum from the power transformer in your amp. All guitars with magnetic pickups do this depending on the choice of those pickups. Single coils are the worst while low impedance hum-buckers are the best. Piezos won't pick up anything. Check if your bass is shielded and if not consider doing so. Carvin sells a kit for this at about $10-15 IIRC.

Paul

9. BryanM

BryanM

Dec 15, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I got my amp back from carvin and the hum is significantly reduced. I was getting terrible hum even with shielded and/or active basses, and the hum was even louder than the instruments themselves in some cases.

10. That means they probably did let you get an amp with an issue then. I hope the replacement amp will work out for ya. I've played thru lots of Carvin amps.. privately owned and at the showroom.. none of them were noisy at all. Lets us know.