Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bad case of anti-gas...Please help a heartbroken noobe...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Capt_freshie, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Capt_freshie

Capt_freshie

Sep 21, 2003
    Hello to All!

After countless hours of reaserch on this site, I have purchased my 1st "real" rig. I got a Yorkie XS800 to drive a Shroeder 1210. My primary bass is a '97 G&L L2000 & a '90 MIM jazz as a backup.
    I was pretty sure that this setup would punch holes through my basement walls, but to my disappointment, it isn't even as loud as my old goofy Peavy 210tx 200w combo (boo_hoo, I am soooooooo bummin').
    I got a 4 ohm cab, so I should be running around 800w w/ this head. I have tried the following:
    1) tried active/pasive mode w/ the G&L
    2) tried my fender instead
    3) Thought it might have been a bogus tube from the factory, so I tried to run the head in solid state preamp mode with the tube drive off - no effect.
    4) <sniffle> more cryin' (didn't work, though)
    5) tried to use a speakon cable instead of a 1/4" instrument cable from both sets of jacks on the head.
    6) tried all various settings of gain, master volume, compresson, EQ, limiter, resonance w/ no results
    7) tried both active/passive inputs -slight boost from the active, but no appreciable volume increase.
    8) ohmed out the speaker cab. around 3.5 ohms, but I think the reactive component (capacitor) might be skewing this reading a bit.
    9) Getting desperate, tried a different power strip & plugged it into my neighbor's house.
    10) Thought mabye I had to burn in this tube, so I left it powered up for 24hrs - no dice.
    11) Tried taking zoloft for my deep depression, but the anguish won't subside, as one look at the Schroeder sends me into a fit.

I gassed so bad for this rig that I missed sturgis to wait for it. I played with another guitarist on wed. night (since my band was in sturgis). & I had to crank my G&l gain volume to max, my xs800 gain to 6 & the master volume to 7 & I could still hear him talking while I was playing. This is my 1st post on a forum, so hopefully I didn't miss anything. I mail ordered the head & got the cab in Denver, so I was unable to hear the rig before the purchase.
    One more note, I REALLY like the tone variations I can get with my setup if only I could cut through a roach fart with it.
    I Well, thats about it. I hope that all you knowledgable folks can pull me through these tough times.

The Avatarless,

Joel

2. If you had ears on your ankles I would expect that they should be bleeding by now. :) Any chance that raising the cab or angling it up would help? How are your tone controls set on both the amp and the bass?

3. How exactly did you hook up the cab to the amp?

4. i am near positive something is wrong with your head, or your hooking up of the cab.

i played the xs800h through a mesa 210, and i couldnt turn the master past 4 without the LM staff telling me to turn down.

that head roars man, there MUST be something wrong.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah, there's something wrong here...There's no way that you can push that amp and cab set up and not get ear bleeding loud.

Have faith, you'll get it sorted and you'll have a killer set up.

6. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I've never heard the Schroeder 1210 cab before, so i may be just talking out my butt....It's just a 12" and a 10" woofer (with tweeter) right? To me, that doesn't seem like it's ever gonna be "ear splitting" loud. It's a small cabinet with only 2 drivers. I know schroeders have a good rep here, but you can't beat physics. Like I said before....I've never tried a Schroeder cab...I'm sure they are wonderful...but it's a small cabinet that you have.

7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

You have some catching up to do.
    Look at the megathread, check out the reviews. I have the 1212 which is the same sized box, and it IS ear splitting loud, and comparable to full sized speaker cabs when it comes to volume and tone produced AND amount of air moved. I hung up my previous rig: 4x10 & 1x12 for 1 Schroeder.

8. You may have damaged the head if you were using a sheilded (guitar) cable instead of an unshielded speaker cable, They do have the same appearance and can be confused. Just a thought. Good Luck and Welcome to TB!

9. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    Were you using instrument cable?

10. Capt_freshie

Capt_freshie

Sep 21, 2003
    Guys,

Thanx for all the help! to respond to these questions:

1) The head is set up for 2 speakon & 2 1/4" speak outputs, all are in parallel. I simply tried each connector to the cab sequentially w/out any difference between them.

2) I was using a 10' monster cable to the cabs. I have no idea if it is shielded or not, but I tried the speakon type 1st.
    How could I tell if its shielded or not?

3) I tried to stand the speaker on end to "aim" that 10" driver towards me, but it had a negligible effect I think.

I'm slightly freaked about the shielding thing, though. Are there any other symptoms that would present themselves(distortion etc.) if I had?

Also is there a minimum distance that this setup would start to get loud? I was only a few feet from it the other night when I was trying it out

Once again, thanks for your time & expertise folks.

Immersed in Sorrow,

Joel

11. Speaker cables are never shielded.
    Your amp might overheat and go into thermal protection if you use instrument cable. If the amp has no thermal protection it could fry.

12. But it's not the shielding that is important in this matter; its the gauge of the cable: instrument cable is much too thin and has wrong impedance.

13. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    I wouldn't think that an instrument cable would have speakon's unless someone/you put them there in error. Are you sure that the speaker cable is good? (long shot)

14. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    and maybe check your fuses...

15. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yeah, I wouldn't think it was the cable...If I were you, I'd do a couple of things:

Take your head and try it with some other cabs...see if its loud with other set ups, then you'll know if you've got a head problem or not.

Take your cab, and use it with a different head, that 1210 should be plenty loud, so if you use a different head and it's either loud or not, you'll know.

Either way, it does happen...with the quantity of production on most bass gear sometimes a bad piece does slip out. I'd hope it were the 1210 that wasn't quite right since Jorg's customer service is awesome, and it would be a quick fix.

16. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have a 1210 and an eden wt800b...it's a deadly marshall stack flattening combo. You definately have issues there. Not sure what, but the "try a differrent head with your 1210, and a different cab with the yorkie" is a place to start. Also might make sure th battery in the G&L is fresh, but since you already tried another bas...
    g'luck, and report back...

17. Hey..dude, if there's really a problem with the Yorkie, you can proberbly smash it to release all your anger and get one for free!!!!(note the great two-years unlimited warrenty)

18. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    So, Jorg actually has made the holy grail of cabinets then? Small size, big boom??? I just thought people were saying those small cabs are loud enough...but they play in a jazz trio or with some acoustic guitars. Kinda misleading when you take the type of music and venue into consideration. I mean, can a 1210 really pump full sound into a 300 seat club...and deal with a Mesa 400+? I'm just skeptical, that's all. Can the 4x10 replace an Ampeg 8x10? That's crazy talk?!?! :eek:

19. I would try taking off that back plate and seeing if a wire fell off one of the speakers in transit. If just the ten or just the 12 was working you'd be running a speaker in too much airspace (if the cab is a single chamber) at an 8ohm loud, which would kill the volume and explain why your Peavey 210 was louder.

20. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

Not crazy. My set up is a 1212 and a Mesa 400+, and it keeps up just fine...even outdoors. I've also been using it in a little side project band I've been goofing with and playing very hard 70's rock and punk, and it keeps up with 2 very loud guitars. My regular gig is a reggae band where it keeps up with a very loud drummer, loud keys and a 50w guitar setup...as it's reggae, I'm the lead instrument in terms of volume and I push a lot of lows, and have NOT had any problem. I stopped carrying a second 1x12 cab because it couldn't keep up with the Schroeder and was distorting...simply put I could be louder cleaner with the 1212 by itself. The 1212 is rated to 1000w, and that doesn't appear to be an exaggeration. The other night, I was shaking the back wall of the club we played at. If I were to have to keep up with 2 100w Marshalls, I'd do it with 2 1212's. I can't see carrying one of the big cabs, I like the ability to move 2 small ones or just bring one.