Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bad case of GAS - Eden Silver Series amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basstrader, Apr 21, 2005.

1. :hyper: I've been drooling on my computer keyboard looking at the Eden web site where they have all the info on the new silver series amps. 1x15, 1x12, 1x10, 2x8, all compatible with extension cabs. Not a ton of power but if you need a great practice/small venue amp these could be quite cool. Priced from $470 to $599 (msrp). So on the street I'm thinking you could get a nice little amp for about $350.

My favorite:

[​IMG]

Now click on it to see Eden's web site! :bassist:

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    That little 2x8 combo caught my attention as well. I'd love to hear one. I also think it might be interesting if Eden put out a standalone 2x8 cab, but so far, I have not heard that they plan to do so.

Someone needs to give this a listen and A/B it to the mysterious Ashdown Perfect Ten MiniRig! ;)

3. a little bumpola. It's been out for a few weeks now, has anyone seen/played/heard of them? I also was turned on to the fact that Ampeg is coming out with a 2x8 combo - Portabass series.

4. They have one in stock at Low Down Sound in Detroit. I'll be there tomorrow afternoon and check it out. I'll reply to this thread tomorrow evening.

5. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Interesting! If the Nemesis combo provides for this option, can you try using the amp section to power an LDS 2x8? I'd be interested to hear how the Eden/Nemesis 2x8 "cab" compares to an LDS 2x8 cab.

I look forward to your findings! And of course, I am jealous whenever I hear that someone is heading up to LDS! Great shop!

Tom.

6. I don't think they have an LDS 2-8 at the shop at the moment, but if they do, I'll A/B (although I'm the guy who says you shouldn't comment on stuff until you've had it on a number of gigs :meh: !!!!) Ha! The pot calling the kettle black :D

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Just be sure to label them "inital thoughts"... ;)

Seriously, though, I think that you make some very good points about reflecting the "gig-worthiness" of a given piece of gear. But, I also think that some information from an in-home or even in-store demo can be better than no information (while waiting on someone to gig with a given item numerous times before posting). The key would be to make it clear as to whether or not a given set of comments are based upon extensive live use, or something less intensive. I am surely guilty of not doing as good of a job as should at addressing such variables, and hopefully your comments will help me (and other TBers) post more helpful comments in the future.

So get thee to LDS and report back with your intial, qualified, preliminary thoughts! :p

Tom.

8. I totally agree. Man, do I love this site!

9. That Ampeg caught my eye as well, particularly since it's got 2 independent channels, and weighs only 35 lbs. I'm curious how it might fare with a big band. 200 watts might keep up, but it's already at 4 ohms. Some of the heads are stable to 2 ohms, but it's not apparent whether this has external cab capability. I queried about it over on the DB side. Anybody even seen one, or are they just too new?

10. Hello guys,

Very quick tryout and brief initial feedback...

A couple of us played through the Eden 2-8" at Low Down Sound this week. Basses: Celinder Update 5 and Sadowsky Metro 4. We didn't really mess around with a lot of the controls.... just set it relatively flat and let fly.

The good: Surprisingly full-range sound.... punchy lower mid and nice, clear highs. Both slap and finger-style sounded very good. As long as the volume was kept relatively low, the B string sound was not bad. It does a good job of replicating a good transistor amp with 4x10 with tweeter sound at low volume.... so if that's your sound, not a bad way to get that sound in your practice room for not much bucks.

The bad: Definitely a practice amp. You obvously can't push the low end volume much, even on an E string much less a B. It seems that it might be a good amp for upright on smaller gigs, but didn't test it.

Net/Net: If you are looking for a practice amp with a good, modern sound that is light and easy to move around from room to room, and that won't cost you a fortune... nice. However, if you are looking for a small gig amp, I'd save up for a Neo 1-12 ( or one of Low Down's neo2-8's or 3-8's).

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Thanks for the report!

Yeah, it looked like a practice amp to me. Any chance to use the amp section to power an LDS (or other) cab? Is that even an option?

12. We didn't have a chance to try that (I didn't even look at the back of the head to see if it was an option... we were jammin' :bassist: ). There was a new LDS three way Neo 2-8", 6" mid plus tweeter that Don was getting ready to ship. I got a chance to 'burn it in' a little with my WWU. It sounded GREAT! Plenty of bottom (at moderate volume) and lot's of warm mid punch. That cab would definitely hand a small gig.

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That cab isn't heading to Florida by chance, is it? ;)

14. Yes... do you know who's getting it? It's a wonderful, wonderful sounding cab. I was honored to do a brief 'playing test' before Don packed it up just to make sure everything was purring along

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I believe that is going to TBer macmrkt.

Tom.

16. He will be VERY happy.

17. It is an option. The amp has two external connections for speakers (180W at 4 ohms min) The internal speakers have a cord that plugs into one of them. so you could use it a number of ways - internal, internal + external 8 ohm, external 4 or 2x 8 ohm blah blah blah. There are new pictures of the front and back panel on the Eden website.

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Ah, I see. Thanks.

[​IMG]

What seems to be a little misleading is that they put the wording "200 Watts Maximum" beneath the DI level knob. What out!!! That would be one hot signal to the board!!! :D

So, if KJung was only listening to the internal speakers, then it would have only been putting out 120w into an 8 ohm load.

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Actually, looking at the front panel, it is kind of cool that they offer you two channels, with just a basic tone balance on one. The speaker on/off switch is nice, too, if you are using headphones or using it as a preamp only.

[​IMG]

20. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Kjung:

Trust me, I am not in the market, but I am curious as to what LDS is asking for this amp.

Thanks, Tom.