1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bad clipping

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rhon, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Rhon

Rhon

Jan 2, 2012
    So i recently built my own bass and installed a musicman pickup and it sounds amazing at practice volumes but then i turned up my amp, (GK 400 rbIV combo with a 1x15), at band practice volumes and when i played anything on the E string it started distorting then clipping really bad then farted. I tried lowering the volume on the bass and then it farted and cut out real bad. i messed with the gain and messed with the master volume. and the eq was set flat. i think i have caused permanent speaker damage, i ended up switching to my pbass and the speaker had this weird distortion, but no farting or clipping no matter how hard i played. could it be the bass? I had a similar problem with my epiphone eb-o in which it kept feed backing and the guys from guitar center explained that i didn't have enough headroom
    Ive hit the search and read all the suggestions and i tried all of them except using a compressor. do i need more headroom or did i wire the pickups in a weird way?

2. It sounds like you are reaching the limits of your amplifier.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    ...and/or the limits of your 1x15.

4. My guess the pickups are too close to the strings, excessive cone movement slammed the voice coil into the back of the magnet structure. Speaker is toast. ;)

5. Rhon

Rhon

Jan 2, 2012
    the speaker still works it just has some distortion in higher volumes that it didn't have before. the pickups are really set in so i don't think they're too close,

6. This is the indication of a damaged speaker, sorry to offer bad news. :bassist: