1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bad craigslist deal - give me some advice

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jamestown94west, Jul 20, 2012.

1. I had a nice warmoth neck on my p bass. The profile was a little too big and I didn't care much for it. I put an ad on craigslist looking to trade it. I was contacted by a guy named Steve who had an 80s model Korean squier jazz neck in "flawless" condition he wanted to trade me straight across. As soon as he contacted me he was incredibly pushy and impatient. I kept wanting to tell him no just because I was at work and he was acting ridiculous. But, I love 80s squier stuff and his neck was almost exactly like what I was looking for. He said his neck was flawless and in such great shape that he knew I would love it. I agreed to meet and look at his neck and agreed to trade straight across of his neck fit my body. I decided to do this because its hard to find good parts like this locally. It was nice to not have to ship parts back and forth and not deal with the added hassles of doing so. When we met, Steve wouldn't make eye contact, and acted like he had no time to spare. He brought out his neck, sopping wet with lemon oil. I was in a hurry, because I had my pregnant fiance with me and we were on our way to a dinner date, and she was starving. I looked his neck over, and only noticed that the first five frets were needing crowned and leveled. I pointed this out, Steve says oh yea that's no big deal that's just play wear. I'm busy with my bass and my neck, and I'm trying to hurry so I don't look at Steve's neck much closer. I make sure Steve's neck fits my body and it does. Its getting dark and we're in a parking lot so I figure I've cut Steve a deal, but since I got a neat vintage neck that I like its ok. The thought of chicken wings with my old lady is way over powering my bartering skills and I decide to get out of there ASAP since Steves acting like he's got ants in his pants and I don't want to be around this weirdo any longer than necessary. I get home later that night and get my bass out to set it up with my new neck. My eye sight sucks, and in the poor light outside I didn't see all the frets. Every.single fret needs leveled and crowned. Even the upper register. The G and D string tuners are worn pretty bad and the tuning key wiggles quiet a bit. There is a crack on the fretboard in between the A and D string that goes from the nut to the first fret. I'm assuming this is why it was soaked in lemon oil, to try and mask the crack. The truss rod was cranked way too hard to the right, which I'm sure is how this happened. I immediately got a hold of Steve by text, complete with pictures, explaining that the neck was far from flawless and that I would like to trade back. He didn't respond so I text him every day for three days. On day three he responded and said he was 4hours away at the hospital with his wife who was in a car accident. He said he would be home the following day. I waited two days and didn't hear from him so I tried contacting him again. I've tried every day, and I haven't heard from him. I've called and text and I get nothing. Today I found him on Facebook. His name isn't Steve and he nor his family have made any mention of his wife or of anyone getting in a car accident. At this point, what would you do?

2. I should also mention that when the transaction took place, "Steve" told me if I wasn't happy we could trade back and that if I had any questions to call or text him

3. Do some detective work and get a land line number and address. Sometimes Facebook will ist where they work You could show up at his house or job but that could go really bad really fast.

4. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Of course he wouldn't trade back. That isn't how scams typically work.

While this is an unfortunate situation and I feel for you, it sounds like you learned a lesson. If you're going to do something like this trade, trust your instincts and pay attention. If you notice someone acting strange in this situation (which you did), that is usually a pretty good sign.

5. I've definitely learned my lesson. This isn't the first time someone's tried to scam me but its definitely the first time someone's pulled it off. I knew I should've told the guy no, but the squier neck was very tempting to me and I was so relieved to not have to mess with shipping. I've never had any trouble trading on talkbass, but It kind of surprises me that I got scammed first in person and not online.

6. xander8280

xander8280

Dec 29, 2011
    Post on his Facebook, and be straight up. He ripped you off

7. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    You knew something was fishy with the guy, and you did the trade anyway. next time you'll know better.

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Based on your description of how the transaction went down, you kinda scammd yourself. :(

Poor lighting, bad eyes, starving spouse, pushy/aggressive seller.

Seems to me the guy's on drugs or something. I suggest staying as far away from him as possible. I wouldn't attempt to contact him again.

Move on, write off your loss and go from here as if this never happened.

9. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    This is why I don't do "meet ups" on CL. If you don't trust me enough to meet at my house or yours, we shouldn't be doing business.

10. Yep:(

11. Streetgang

Streetgang

Jul 10, 2012
    Brum U.K.
    I know what you'd like to do :mad:, but I'd write it off as a loss and remember in the future, no address no sale

12. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Some folks perceptions are different than ours. We (TB Bassists) seem to be a bit more meticulous with the gear we own down to the minute imperfections.

I just went to pick up a 'brand new never used' Shure SM58 for $60! Of course a stock pic was posted on Craigslist. Anyway, I get there, sure enough, it is a SM58.....but a wireless model (still hellova deal at $60) but useless to me or anyone without a receiver unit which she didn't have. Some folks attention to detail is just not there! SMDH!

13. i think thats what im going to do. :bawl:

i just got a new loaded jazz body yesterday, if i can get this neck fixed up ill have a nice jazz bass to play. ill just remember to not ever let my guard down again.

14. Red Flag 1

Red Flag 2

Which almost always invites disaster in negotiating a transaction. There is nothing wrong with saying, "I'm going to need to look this over another day when I have more time and the light is better."

Red Flag 3

This is gonna sound harsh, but since you asked: I would suck it up, count it toward experience, live and learn.

Your experience is like a text book course on how NOT to negotiate a business transaction. Seller didn't hide anything; in fact, he made it glaringly obvious you were getting a problem neck.

You got in a hurry and ignored the Red Flags.

Maybe, by some cosmic miracle, "Steve" will come around and play fair with you. I would be thrilled to hear it.

But don't expect it. And don't beat yourself up over it. Just move on, wiser.

15. BassScum

BassScum

May 1, 2008
    So Cal
    He didn't scam you! You had the opportunity to inspect the neck and went through with the trade anyway. You could have said no.

In my opinion it's a case of "traders remorse"

I don't think it would be cool to harrass him on Facebook or anywhere.

Let it go.

16. I never claimed it was a scam, just a bad deal. He was dishonest, and I gave him the opportunity to do so. I went ahead and mounted the neck on a body and am going to try to use it.

It just REALLY burns my butt that I let this happen.

17. BassScum

BassScum

May 1, 2008
    So Cal
    You kind of did imply that you were scammed!

No worries though :)

18. At the beginning of this deal it was a scam, but since I chose to enable it to happen, I just chalked it up to a bad deal since its my fault too.

19. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    It sucks. At the end of the day you let your want get in the way of taking your time, meeting in daylight and not rushing through with the deal. Chalk it down to a lesson learned. Personally I hate Craigslist pure and simple. Full of lowballers and scammers and the occasional honest seller or buyer.