1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bad damage with bridge install

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by pedulla-2007, Apr 27, 2009.

1. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    I recently took my American deluxe active Fender 5er to a guitar repair shop in Arlington Tx, to have a badass bridge installed. It took over 2 weeks for bridge install and setup. When I picked it up the finish was badly damaged when the tech used the stock Fender holes and discovered that intonation could not be done in stock position. He then re-mounted the bridge further back, which left an impression in the wood from the first mounting along with numerous scratches on surrounding area. Be warned, always use masking tape around area to be worked on , especially on black basses. Along with numerous scratches, the strings do not have a straight pull from the bridge. Not only did he de-value my bass, he put grooves on the bridge saddles that did'nt allow a straight pull on the strings. Should I let it go, and never go back,or report him to better business bureau to warn other players? He charged me 3 1/2 hours labor. I'm pissed. Anyone have any like experiences?:(

2. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Demand they replace the bass immediately with a new one of the same value. If they do not, sue them in small claims court. Post photos here in this forum as well with the name of the shop that did the work.
    On another note - why didn't the BadAss work? I think the BA III is a direct drop-in replacement for the MIA's? Replacing the bridge should take less than 10 minutes. Then another 5-10 to set height and set intonation. And that bridge should fit exactly - that's what it's made for.
    CORRECTION - I missed the part that this was a 5er. So this bridge is not-drop-in. Nonetheless, it is not a difficult job. Add 10-15 minutes to line up and drill new holes.

3. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    pics?

4. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Here are some pics.DFW Guitar shop in Arlington Tx, he works for GUITAR CENTER.

Attached Files:

5. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    I've gotta see some pictures of this.

3 1/2 hours to replace a bridge is absolutely ridiculous, even if he had to mount it twice.

6. James Simonson

James Simonson

Feb 2, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Endorsing Artist : Ernie Ball and Ampeg
    That's some ghetto a$$ @#$# right there. I'm sorry to see this happen to your bass.

7. Matt Wilson

Matt Wilson

Jul 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Are you kidding? That is ridiculous, my gf could do better. Demand a new bass. That bridge is ruined, and your bass is damaged. My earnest best wishes.

8. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    That is horrendous. Demand a new bass now. If they say 'no', this is honestly a quick trip to small claims court. Any judge can see that this was a butcher job on both the bass and the bridge.

9. jordan_frerichs

jordan_frerichs

Jan 20, 2008
    Nebraska
    almost 4 hours for a job where the primary work is taking out 5 screws, and putting them back in? this is why i always DIY when i can, also, always seek a proffesional instead of a someone who only plays guitar, and couldn't tell an input jack from a volume knob. truly a kick in the nuts.

10. Hi.

Sloppy job, that's for sure. And took way too long IMHO.

In my view they owe You an apology, a buffing job and a set of new saddles (? on that saddles bit, see below). I can't see that they would give You a new bass. No harm in trying though.

WTH is going on with the anchor holes of the BA V? It seems (to me) that the string spacing is almost constant, but the holes on the bridge are spaced unevenly, very badly!

Regards
    Sam

11. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    Do you think it would be within reason to ask for my money back? He seems like a nice guy, but I hate to go through the hassle. I can get nasty, and I have to remind myself that the calmer head will always prevail.

12. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Within reason to ask for as new bass if he did all that damage. A new bridge the ARE drop-ins that are high-mass for the 5ers. Honestly, this should've been a 30-minute job (strings off to back on and intonation set).

13. Hi.

Money back is less than I would settle with, but if that's all they will do, well...

Buffing is a PITA, sometimes a MAJOR PITA, but it can be done. The replacement saddles are available if the bridge is drilled in a way that new saddles will help any.

As a matter of a fact, if there's any scratching because of me on an instrument I'm working with, I'll buff it. The top at least.

Just my 0.02€
    Sam

14. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007

Sep 2, 2008
    texas
    I truly believe FOAMY is correct. I have been trying to take an adult stance on this, but I have no other recourse but to take a hard position on this matter. Thank you my BASS BROTHERS for all advice and understanding. I knew you would concur with me.

15. Blind Rat

Blind Rat

Apr 23, 2009
    Here
    A blindfolded cat could have done a better job.

16. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Let's be real guys: String off to strings on and intonation set is AT LEAST 45 minutes :)

This boob has stolen money from you and vandalized your instrument. The strings are not spaced properly across the poles of the pickups so he clearly did not install a bridge correctly. That is repair 101 and if missed that then you have a slam dunk in a suit.

The expectaion when hiring a repair man to install a bridge is that the bridge is installed to proper specs. This is clearly not the case.

Try to be nice but do not settle. I would never do a hack job like this and it would not take 3.5 hours to mess up this much.

17. Dave Kerr

Dave Kerr

Mar 8, 2009
    I'm assuming that you've already paid him after inspecting the job - that may make it tougher for you to get anything out of him. I'm not a lawyer, etc etc, but I suspect that may work against you.

18. ironrat

ironrat

Sep 24, 2008
    What a ShI**y job! Demand a NEW replacement or go to the court. That was a butcher's job! Don't stay with your arms crossed, don't have pitty for that beast!

19. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Maybe a couple of us who have BadAss V's installed on the same American Std 5ers can take and post a couiple photos to this thread so Pedulla-2007 can use them to show a small claims judge and/or the butcher who messed up this one. I think that'd be a good thing we could do.
    Also, I think it is reasonable to get the bass fixed by another luthier, then charge back the original guy the amount of the NEW luthier's bill that covers getting the bass back to its original condition. That would likely cover buffing, and at least purchasing new saddles.
    That is a reasonable thing.

20. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    I would settle for nothing less than having the bass replaced. He seriously devalued an expensive instrument - from what I gather he drilled a bunch of new holes. I would ask for a refund + a new bass. If he refused I'd take him to small claims court.