Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bad day (dogs and friends)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Tim Cole, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Things started off last night with a call from my guitar player /singer, letting me know his 24 year old fiance has just been diagnosed with cancer, and will have to have a historectomy as a result. Luckily, she just gave birth to her first (and now only) baby about 5 months ago. Not much more will be known until she gets back from the doctor today, and a few days pass for test results, but none the less....what a horrible thing for anyone to go through, especially someone so young! As a sidemarker of a ****ty day for them, their only running vehicle blew a head gasket on their way home from their horrible news.

Onto today, this story has a bit of a past with it, so I will try to be brief. When I (finally) moved from my parents home for good six years ago, I bought a golden retriever puppy. She has been my best bud for the last 6 years. Women have come and gone, and I've gone through a lot in those 6 years, but never once has a day gone by when she wasn't happy to see me. A little over a year ago, I noticed a lump on her side near her back leg, and took her to the vet. When I got there, I noticed my normal vet wasn't there, and was told he no longer worked there. The newbie took a sample, and sent it off for biopsy. He said the results were negative, and not to worry about it. He then gave his opinion that it looked to him like trauma, and suggested that either I, or someone else kicked her. THAT pissed me off, and we found a new place to go. So some time goes by, and this lump has gotten huge. I take her to the new vet, and theyrun $300 worth of stupid tests, x-rays, and other worthless things that amounted to nothing but a waste.

My guitar player (as noted above) has a friend he has known his whole life, and owns a vet clinic. HE gave them a call, and got me set up to take her in this morning. They decided to go ahead, and open her up today, to see what they could find out. I just got the call back from them, and was told she has a large, fibrous, tumor, that cannot be removed, and he said he was 99% certain it was definitely cancerous. He told me on the phone, that there was "no way" they actually did the biopsy they charged me $300 for, and if they actually did do the biopsy, they didn't get a sample of the tumor!!! The new vet sent a sample off to OSU for a biopsy to be certain, but unfortunately it is too late to do anything to save her.

I have to leave now to go pick her up, and I it is going to be mega tough watching my buddy go downhill. Although she hasn't been as active as she used to be, she is still in pretty good general health, and is pretty happy. I want her to be around as long as she can, without being miserable. This is going to be tough.

It angers me to no end that I tried to take care of this situation when it was first noticed, but was more or less accused of kicking her. Add to the fact, it doesn't sound like he even took the biopsy, even though they claimed they did, and charged dearly for it. I wish I could either sue their pants off, or go break the guys nose, but unfortunately I can't see a suit being worthwhile, since the courts won't see any value in a dog, and obviously violence is never a good answer either.

Thanks for listening.

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Man that sucks Tim. I'll see you Friday night bro.

3. Given the fact that you've been at the center of a karmastorm lately, I'm fairly sure that things will begin to look up for you soon enough.

4. Wow, man. That stinks. It just stinks.

Very sorry to hear about it. :(

I love dogs.

Mike

5. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thanks for the replies guys, it really is nice to know some people out there care. I just got her home, and she is very out of it. It was hard to pick her up before, but it seems x2 since she is pretty much limp, and 110# to boot. She's had a good life, spoiled to the hilt, and will be continued until the day comes when she is no longer happy.

They ran more tests on Scott's wife, but still no real results yet. Please keep them in your thoughts and prayers. This poor guy has already been through more in his life than anyone I have ever heard of.

Thanks again guys.

6. damn. damn.

really sorry to hear man. g'luck to your buddy's wife - hope it all works out.

poor pup. imo i think it would be worthwhile making sure the bad vets get a name for themselves. a bad name.

another day flies by. again - my condolences.

7. Tim, sorry to hear about your friends fiance, and your pup. Continue to be as good to them as you possibly can,and enjoy your time with them. They,and you too will be in our thoughts and prayers.

John

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Tim, hang in there...

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Tim -

You know where to find me if you need to vent. I've been there in both situations, and have an idea of how you feel, although both at the same time...sheesh...

Let me know if there's anything I can do for ya.

:(

10. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Life's highs wouldn't seem so good if the lows weren't so bad.

There's nothing you can do about these situations, except support your buddies. They'll support you through your dog's decline too.

As McFerrin said, things will look up soon. And when they do, they'll seem that much sweeter, because you've gone through this.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Tim, sorry to hear the bad news on both fronts.

Your puppy and your guitarists fiance are in my thoughts and prayers.

It's little consolation, but I wonder if you can sue the other vet for malpractice?

12. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'm sure he could. People have sued (and won) for countless stupid reasons, so why shouldn't he sue for a good reason (ie the malpractice commited)?

13. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Oh man, that's terrible. Cancer is terrible. I've lost several friends and family to it and it seems to becomming more common.

I know there are lots of charities out there, all of them stand for good causes, and you can't support them all. I have made a conscious decision to focus my charity efforts on cancer related organisations and I'm appealing to TB'ers to do the same where possible.

Tom you have a very difficult decision comming up. You know from the other thread that I'm don't endorse putting animals down unless you have a very good reason. This qualifies as a good reason. At some point you're going to have to decide wether of not your pup's quality of life is worth preserving. Hopefully she will have many good days, weeks, months, years before that time comes.

PM me if there's anything I can do.

14. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Thanks again guys, I just spoke with Scotts wife, they still wont know anything for a while, for test results and stuff....I think they said right around the 22nd is when they will know what they have to do.

Pete, I am not going to put her asleep until she is no longer happy. She felt horrible last night from the surgery, but is doing better this morning, even though she can barely stand up, she managed to get her ball and bring it to me. She's lived as happy of a life as a dog ever could, central air all summer, and warm heat all winter, and more attention than anyone in the house gets.

I know what cancer can do, and how bad it can be...my aunt has been fighting it for two years, and it is very tough on them. Hers is terminal, and a month ago they found a new tumor on her brain. She is hoping to make it to see her youngest graduate highschool next summer. It sucks these things happen, and I hope for Scotts wife they found it early enough it doesn't ever have to come to this. I am going into town later to take pics of his guitars to put up for sale. Luckily, he has enough of them that even after he sells the bulk, he will get to keep a PRS 10 top custom 22, and his Taylor acoustic.

Thanks again guys, the replies do mean a lot.

15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    PS, I checked a little into the suit idea, and in Ohio a dog is considered personal property, and you can only be rewarded the dogs value. That's not going to put a big enough dent in anyone to make it worthwhile. If there was a possibility, I had thought about doing what I could to get them, and donate it all to local dog shelters.

I am going to wait for confirmation from Ohio State on her biopsy, and when it does come back malignant, I will do what I can then. There's a good chance that the original biopsy I paid for was never even taken, since the results were obviously very wrong. I'm wondering if he didn't just assume I kicked her like he implied, charged me for the test, and never bothered taking it.

After I get the results back, I will be contacting them, I feel they at the very least owe me a refund for the test that was never taken, or taken properly. After that, I will be finding out all the veterinary boards he belongs to, BBB, and anyone else I can to possibly prevent this from happening to someone else. I'll leave a dent one way or another.

The way I see it, I got ripped off, and cheated out of many years of my best friends life. She will be 6 years old next week.

16. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    Tim,
    I'm sorry to hear about both stories. Hopefully your friend's fiance does well and pulls through this.

As far as the dog goes, I can only say that I feel for you. Many of us have been through it and can relate and know how hard it is. Pets rely on us for everything and are faithful no matter what. That always makes it so hard to let go. I hope you find the strength to take care of her and give her as much comfort and dignity as she deserves. Anyone who says that it's just an animal just doesn't get it...

Best wishes coming your way.
    Scott