Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bad dilemma (not delima) with the band.. Can anyone help?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Aug 11, 2002.

1. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    Hi
    I have a band called the foxy grandpas...
    its just me and a drummer..
    I sing also..
    Well I have a problem.. its mostly hardcore stuff with nothing but distortion.. you cant really hear a bass.. even though its LOW distortion..
    Ive been recording for a split with my friends band Poser and another band to put out sort of a 3 way split album. Anyway.. The problem is
    I wanna write some songs that are more techincal as far as bass goes. Ive been told i have alot of tallent by.. Girlfriend, bass Teacher, Parents, other friends . Some people just think i suck and they wont give me the time of day to even pick up a bass in front of them..(a couple of bass players around here)
    Im not trying to bitch at yall and tell you my life sucks cause it doesn't.(I dont wanna sound like a Nu metal kid..)
    My problem though is.. Im starting to make up more techical basslines .. (ie. walking jazz lines.. played fast.. clean bass signal.. no distortion).. Ive recorded 1 new song and my manager (best friend) heard a song i did today and went through the roof about it and said it was one of the best basslines hes heard in a indie recording in a couple years..
    Im not trying to brag or sound like an idiot or anything like that..
    I just wanna know how i can get people to listen and actaully take me serious as a musician. I dont wanna be just a goofy kid who plays 4 chord punk songs.. i wanna be looked at as someone who actually has sence and actually cares about his playing and his basslines.

Thanks for the help
    Nick

2. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    join another band to do more bass led songs in. (that is if your band wont let you "tech-up" the songs a bit).

thats what im going to do, as i have the same problem of looking like i cant do crap on a bass in my band, then going home and trying to work up some real talent.

good luck.

regs...

3. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    thanks for the reply man.. actually its a one man band lol. I play drums and bass guitar and do vocals... on the recordings. i dont have a guitarist lol.. and i really dont want one..
    ive been trying to make up some walking bass lines and trying to incorperate some fast scale runs into my songs to make em sound alot better than they really were.
    I used to do the band thing but i realy wasn't happy with the stuff they wanted to do.. (blink 182) so i split and haven't looked back since.. i just gotta improve myself now as far as creativity..

4. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    aha, sorry, that bit confused me. :$

regs...

5. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I'm confused!

You're having problems with your band because they wont let you stretch out. All three pieces in your band are you. The name of the band is The Foxy Grandpas (neat band name, by the way).

The bass can't really be heard in the band. Obviously the bass player needs to be replaced but then you no longer have a singer or drummer...

I wish I could offer you some good advice. Personel problems are always hard to deal with. I'd turn it over to your manager. That's really his job anyway.:)

Pkr2

6. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    classic! :D

7. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    okay guys.. i decided since i cant be heard ever since our 1989 release.. "and Grandpas for all".. i decided im gonna quit the band.. buy 7 sadowskis and get one free..
    and im gonna join a jazz/fusion trio..

:D

nah ive solved it.. ... no more distortion.. that simple.. ill force myself to play complicated lines ..even if i cant.. ill try lol..

8. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    positive action always equals a positive result.*

go for it man!

:D

* Subject to terms and conditions, you will NOT sue me for ANYTHING. I reserve the right to resort to name calling if the need arises. Have a nice day.

9. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    I locked myself in my room for a while.. yes yes..
    well i got pics of my stupid studio and recording basslines for it..
    I usually lay down bass first.. i got some good lines in today and im gonna write some more tommorow.
    Not so much walking jazz lines but.. just fun weird rockabilly sounding lines.. i sent some basslines to friend.. they aprove so... THe foxy grandpas are gonna be different from now on :D

sorry for ramblings... thanks for the help .. and the laughs.. yeah you punk funk dude.. and.. yeah the other guy :D ;) :p

10. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Nice studio!

Which one of you took the picture?

Sounds like you have a plan worked out now.

Don't worry too much about what other people think about your music. If it suits you, that's all that really matters.

Good luck and just keep on keeping on.

Pkr2

11. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    dude is that an rbx 270? i have that bass!!!!

*ahem*

yes, hope it goes well man, you certainly have the gear to make something out of this.
    ;)

ps, how the hell did another member of the band take the pic if you ARE all the members of the band? this honestly is screwing me up....*mind tumor grows*

12. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    my invisable friends took em..
    nah..
    I have a timer to take a picture if you set it up.. you can punch in the time you want the picture to be taken (kinda hard.. since theres no num pad on it =X)
    so.. i just did that..lol

yeah dude thats the rbx170. I think i picked a good one when i bought my first bass a while back ;)

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Why do you want to be so recognized? You say that you're going to try to always play "complicated" and "technical" lines, but you also say that you can't. You may think you'll be taken seriously as a bass player, but probably not as a musician. The lines you write should serve the music and the melody. There's no reason to play a million notes playing up and down a scale just because you'll sound like you're a better bass player. Playing root notes doesn't mean you suck if it properly serves the song.

IMO, I would never play with a guitarist because he plays super fast and complicated lines. It would get old, and would pigeonhole me into playing 1 kind of music. I'd rather have one who COULD play that way when the music demanded, but doesn't feel the need to do so constantly to prove himself to everyone. It's much easier to play fast and all over the fretboard than to play a slow, beautiful harmonically-pleasing bassline. Maybe it's just me.

However, good luck with yourself.

14. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...

I agree with most of what you said..
    I rather have good style than playing complicated lines.
    I wanna make up just.. basslines that people say ya know.. "wow that sounds good".. and it doesn't really have to be complicated..
    just more complicated than what im playing.. which is 3 and 4 note punk songs..
    I mean Look at Yngwie.. although some might not agree.. he can play a billlion notes per second.. but he has no style..
    and I dont wanna be greasy,overweight and not able to sing like him.. (i already cant sing).. but anyway .. i agree with you angus.. good point there

15. Thats not you, that's an early picture of Buddy Holly!!:D

Rock on
    Eric

16. Nick, do you have any limit to as how many layers (or channels, whatever you wanna call them) you can record? 'Cause if you have another layer open, you could play bass an octave higher and put distortion on and then on the regular bass layer play a clean line that assists the song. Also for the octave higher parts put the treble all the way up and turn the bass down a bit. I like to use the Cry Baby setting on my GT-6B.

I'm in kind of a similar situation, but way less extreme. I wrote and recorded this one song in 10 minutes and, ya'know, its just 8th notes and just a silly song (I could give you the link to it if you want). And I just don’t want that type of playing to be what I’m known for. So I'm now recording a cover of a local band's song with the simple, distorted bass played an octave higher and a more supporting, clean bass line.

Then there are live shows...um...bye I gotta go!
    *runs away*