Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bad Ding on Rosewood Fingerboard.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by stevekim, Feb 28, 2006.

1. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    yesterday, while my bass was leaned up against my amp the drummer accidentally knocks it over. fortunately, the strings took much of the force (dented the E string pretty bad) but there is an indentation on one of the frets where the string hit the fingerboard. is there any way to fix this or should i just leave it be? the dent is about 1/4 long and only a few milimeters deep. you can see the grooves from the strings. it's probably not worth worrying about, just wanted to see if by chance anybody had an easy fix for this.

thanks,

steve

2. jeffhigh

jeffhigh

May 16, 2005
    If it is just dented you may be able to steam it out.
    If it is scratched you would be best to fill it up with a sanding dust?superglue mix
    which damage is it?

3. gfried84

gfried84 Commercial User

May 7, 2005
    Owner Fried Guitars Inc.
    take a wet cloth(not damp). place the cloth on the dent and put the tip of a soldering iron on it. It may take 30 times but the steam should make the dent rise.

4. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    thanks. the soldering iron + steam method works great. i wasn't able to get the dent out 100% but it is MUCH better and doesn't bother me as much.