1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

bad/dirty pot or speaker issue?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassfella06, Oct 15, 2010.

1. GK 700RB head has had some scratchy sounds when operating the master volume. Sometimes my volume will get low for a few seconds while I'm playing and then come back to normal.
    At practice last weekend the speakers started to "crack" like a jack was bad or a cable was loose. (which didnt appear to be the case.)..making me wonder if the speakers were the issue..I'm running into a 90s era Fender Bassman 410 (with a blown horn turned all the way down) and a 115...also two nearly new cables and one tuner pedal..if that helps at all.
    Any thoughts?

Thanks.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    It's the pot.

3. Thanks Bill.This is good news. So a bad pot can cause a loud cracking sound?

4. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    Yes. Once you have the pot replaced, you can then see if you have any more issues. Sounds like prolly just the pot tho.

5. The pot probably doesn't need replacing give it a spray with Caigs De-oxit or another contact cleaner.