Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bad DR string - how common?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by leanne, May 15, 2003.

1. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    My bass has been buzzing terribly, and the setup guy looked at it today, and said (among other problems) one of the strings is bad. And you can see it, it wiggles funny.

He also said that when he does a setup for people who insist on using DR strings, he won't guarantee that they'll be happy with the setup, because he's encountered so very many bad DR strings. He was encouraging me to try a different brand.

I have no intention of changing brands, but it isn't cool to waste a brand new string. As far as I know, I've never gotten a bad one before this, but maybe I just didn't realize.

Are bad DR strings really that common?

2. I've bought 5 sets of DR strings since i started playing, four sets of Lo-Rider .50-.110 and one set of Lo-Rider .45-.130. Only problem I ever had was when I broke an E string while tuning back up from C. I trust DR implicitly, and unless I have a very bad experience I won't do.

Techs can be biased like everybody else.

3. I have tried DR's in the past with poor quality as well. I asked my luthier about them and he said he has seen more bad DR's than any other brand. Since I did not care for the DR's I tried this did not effect my decision to not buy them anymore...

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I think I've read some DR propaganda that has endorsing players sing praises like "amazing string to string consistency."

Pppfffffft.

IME, DR isn't really better or worse in this regard than other strings I've tried. I don't think I've gotten a 'dead as a doornail' string out of a DR set yet (I use Fatbeams), but they haven't been "amazingly consistent," either...

YMMV

5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I had similar problems with the E and A strings on DR strings quite some time ago. I just chalked it up to an expensive lesson learned and moved on.

Some companies will replace a defective string. D'addario has done this for me in the past.

6. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I emailed DR about the string and they said they would replace it. And they apologized. Very nice of them. :)

7. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's odd, I've been using DR strings for over 4 years, countless sets, and I've never had a bad string.

8. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I've moved to few differrent places over the past 5 years, and each and every tech that I've found to set up my gear has said that DR are the worst, most inconsistent strings that exist. To say they're the worst to me is a bit harsh. I'm sure they don't make their own strings, which means that there is another string company making them that is just as bad. I had a buddy that had an endorsement deal with them for a short time, and he hated their strings and dropped his endorsement. Personally, I've not had a problem with them at all, and I actually like the Fat Beams quite a bit.

9. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    WOW I have used a few sets and they were fine, I hope that they are consistant I just bid on three sets nof Lowriders on ebay :eek:
    Usually I'm a Ernie Ball or D'Addario user but I have been diggin the tone out of my Stingray with a set of Marcus fatbeams on it. Hmmmm.

10. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    I've been using DR's for the last eight years. I've tried some others during that time, but always came back to DR. And in all that time I've only had one bad G string which they replaced.

11. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I love DR strings and have no complaints.

12. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I could never figure out how "Hand Made" could be a positive selling point for something you want to be totally consistant for each and every unit produced. This makes no sense.:confused:

Hand painted, hand carved, hand detailed, etc. for objects that are art or need human evaluation is one thing, but when it comes to my strings being wound with the wire properly tensioned at all times & cut to consistant lengths....sorry, a human will not be consistant, string after string after string, like a machine.

I had to buy/use 4 DR B strings once (my regulars were out of stock). 1 out of the 4 was bad.

I've used D'Addarios almost exclusively since 1983 and never had a bad string.

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I've been using DRs almost exclusively since buying my Spector in 1995. I've had 1 set of bad strings, out of probably 60.

So, with those odds, I'm happier than I ever was with other brands.

14. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    The whole set was bad???

I figure I've bought at least 300 sets (4 string with High C and Low B strings bought as singles) of D'Addario strings since 1983. I've never had even one bad string, and I am particular about them. They need to be clean, singing and rattle free. I don't like dead strings.

15. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    ditto

I've come across a bad string here and there, but hey, it happens. I still would take them over others out there, just a personal preference.

16. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Not with D'Addarios!:D :cool:
    (OK, OK. I'll stop.);)

17. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    DR's are about as bad as D'Adarrio's in my book. :eek:

:bag:

:D

18. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I should clarify, since D'Addario makes so many sets. I have used the XL170 or XL170SL (super long) sets for as long as I can remember. I can't speak for the quality/consistancy of the other sets (Prizms, XL160s, EXPs, etc.).

19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  20. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Love D R Strings. I try others and always come back. The tone is great on my basses and like the energizer bunny they seem to last and last and last and last. I am really surprized that luthiers would single them out.