bad drummer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tommo, Feb 19, 2003.

1. I just wanted to moan about the drummer in my band.
    He plays so loud you cant here the rest of teh band!:bawl: We asked him to play softer and we sounded 100% better:D But he said we sounded worse and carried on playing loud, as well as out of time!:mad:
    Just thought id moan!
  2. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You, my friend, are in what the old school bassists call a "bad marriage". Dump him! Bad drummers are like bad cords, both are noisy and they cause static when you try to work with them!
  3. We are thinking about it, although he's a bad drummer hes a realy good friend so we don't know what to do!:confused: Ive actualy been offered to go to a new band, and they've got an awesome drummer!:D Thanks
  4. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    It sounds like you've got a good solution--you can leave him/that situation for a better one?
    If we could just get our drummer to come to practice we would be doing great! Last night he skipped out on us again---and, unfortunately, it's his wife that seems to be complaining about "needing him at home to help out". :rolleyes:
  5. yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Stangely enough, our last drummer made our band sound a bit lame and weak due to his 'softeness' at drumming.

Our new drummer 'whacks the hell' out of them, which has a surprising effect on the music!

It also helps that hes very fast at double bass(drum) and has 5 years of experince :p
  6. Here is my observation on drummers, especially younger ones, regarding dynamics. For some reason this seems to be one of the hardest things for drummers to learn and yet it is one of the easiest things we can do to make ourselves sound good. Tell him that if he wants to move himself ahead as a drummer, he needs to learn this.

I've been playing drums for 32 years, trust me on this one. Your drummer can totally change their sound just by employing this common musical concept.
  7. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    it's good to see a drummer saying this...because it is SOOOO true. This applies to us all I guess...being willing to adapt/grow to help the band.
  8. Yea! i might be joining a new band in a week! Which is great cos all of my old band has fallen out, so now were not even a band anymore!:rolleyes: So this new band should be better:bassist:
  9. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    you've just got excellent timing I guess! Congrats on it all working's nice to be wanted, huh?:)
  10. Sounds like it's working out!! :)

We've recently got a new drummer and it's made a huge difference to our band. We got on really well with the last guy, but we knew he was the weak link- his timing was very hit and miss. He really improved in the time he spent with us but eventually he decided to go - I think he knew he wasn't really up to the job.

Since getting the new drummer lots of people have commented on how much better the band sounds (note: they haven't necessarily connected it with the new drummer!) It's easy to underestimate the value of a good drummer!

Hope all goes well for you :)
  11. Yea guess i have!;) We have sorted out a practice day/place and im realy looking forward to it!:bassist: