1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bad experience with Line 6 FM 4 Filter Modeler

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Morris, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Morris

Morris Guest

Oct 7, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales
    Wooah!! I say to anyone fancying taking one of these stomp boxes out for a spin. I bought one on recommendation (!) and found it to be wholly unsatisfying. It had that horrible digital tone sucking sound and a number of highly annoying and very audible glitches.

There were so many things I did'nt like about it (and I really wanted to like it) such as the latency and the fact there is no level control other than a mix function. If you could crank the volume of a patch then it might have been a little more useful as it was it was next to useless as the FX just sounded weak. Maybe I have been spoilt as I have use of a Minimoog with its audio input through the filter. This sounds superb and I was kinda hoping I could get something to resemble this a little out of the Line 6 but everything just sounded unbelievably poor.

The intentions of the designers was really admirable but I think maybe filtering needs to be kept in the analogue domain.

Needless to say I took the unit back. In order to satisfy my FX cravings, I have bought an EH Bassballs, an EH graphic fuzz and a Dunlop Bass wah. Aaahh analogue! You just cannot beat it for FX.

2. CHEAP digital units suck, yes. Really really nice ones do not.

You did not buy a really really nice one.

3. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    What's a really really nice one?

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Definitely NOT the Line 6 pedals. I had my eye on a Modulation Modeller for awhile, and borrowed one from a guitarist friend for a weekend. Boy, was I glad I did. That unit SUCKED for bass, and it was built poorly. The paint would chip off just by looking at it. I know paint isn't very important, but it is a sign that the company was more concerned with cost containment as opposed to quality.

5. The Roland Vbass is an excellent modeler.

It has about 10 amp heads, and a bunch of speaker combos modelled. Approx 10 electric basses, and at least 10 acoustics already modelled, w/ a ton of tweeking you can get a bunch more.
    Sounds pretty realistic, i find its has a learning curve and many of the intailly 50 presents are lets say show off type stuf, but again w/ tweaking its makes some very unique sounds/tones
    frank

6. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Is the GT6B in the same ballpark?

7. I believe the GT-6B has the same amp and speaker models, but no COSM bass models.
    Also the GT has effects the Vbass doesn't and a loop function which allows you to lay tracks. The 6B was reviewed in last month bass player mag. There are a few posts here which discuss the unit.
    people seem to like the 6B for it price, which is 2/3 less than the Vbass. (right now the vbass is going for $1100-1200)

8. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Yeah,i've been thinking about checking that thing(GT6B)out.I was interested in the Akai Deep Impact pedal but for a couple hundred more seems like the GT6B is a good deal.I'm just kind of cautious about multi-effects after getting a Digitech BP8 and finding out it was total crap.It sucked all the low end right out of my rig, even when it was in bypass.The GT6B seems to be a much better unit though.

9. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I haven't heard the pedal, but I don't know how you can knock the construction. The only other pedals I've seen that compare (in construction) are boss.