Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bad experience with Line 6 FM 4 Filter Modeler

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Morris, Nov 26, 2002.

1. Morris

Morris Guest

Oct 7, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales
    Wooah!! I say to anyone fancying taking one of these stomp boxes out for a spin. I bought one on recommendation (!) and found it to be wholly unsatisfying. It had that horrible digital tone sucking sound and a number of highly annoying and very audible glitches.

There were so many things I did'nt like about it (and I really wanted to like it) such as the latency and the fact there is no level control other than a mix function. If you could crank the volume of a patch then it might have been a little more useful as it was it was next to useless as the FX just sounded weak. Maybe I have been spoilt as I have use of a Minimoog with its audio input through the filter. This sounds superb and I was kinda hoping I could get something to resemble this a little out of the Line 6 but everything just sounded unbelievably poor.

The intentions of the designers was really admirable but I think maybe filtering needs to be kept in the analogue domain.

Needless to say I took the unit back. In order to satisfy my FX cravings, I have bought an EH Bassballs, an EH graphic fuzz and a Dunlop Bass wah. Aaahh analogue! You just cannot beat it for FX.

2. CHEAP digital units suck, yes. Really really nice ones do not.

You did not buy a really really nice one.

3. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    What's a really really nice one?

4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Definitely NOT the Line 6 pedals. I had my eye on a Modulation Modeller for awhile, and borrowed one from a guitarist friend for a weekend. Boy, was I glad I did. That unit SUCKED for bass, and it was built poorly. The paint would chip off just by looking at it. I know paint isn't very important, but it is a sign that the company was more concerned with cost containment as opposed to quality.

5. The Roland Vbass is an excellent modeler.

It has about 10 amp heads, and a bunch of speaker combos modelled. Approx 10 electric basses, and at least 10 acoustics already modelled, w/ a ton of tweeking you can get a bunch more.
    Sounds pretty realistic, i find its has a learning curve and many of the intailly 50 presents are lets say show off type stuf, but again w/ tweaking its makes some very unique sounds/tones
    frank

6. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Is the GT6B in the same ballpark?

7. I believe the GT-6B has the same amp and speaker models, but no COSM bass models.
    Also the GT has effects the Vbass doesn't and a loop function which allows you to lay tracks. The 6B was reviewed in last month bass player mag. There are a few posts here which discuss the unit.
    people seem to like the 6B for it price, which is 2/3 less than the Vbass. (right now the vbass is going for $1100-1200)

8. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Yeah,i've been thinking about checking that thing(GT6B)out.I was interested in the Akai Deep Impact pedal but for a couple hundred more seems like the GT6B is a good deal.I'm just kind of cautious about multi-effects after getting a Digitech BP8 and finding out it was total crap.It sucked all the low end right out of my rig, even when it was in bypass.The GT6B seems to be a much better unit though.

9. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I haven't heard the pedal, but I don't know how you can knock the construction. The only other pedals I've seen that compare (in construction) are boss.