Bad experiences

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Finn, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Finn

Nov 20, 2001
    When I purhased my 5-string Yamaha I realized that it was quite stiff to play. Is it normal that 5-string basses are little stickier to handle or is it just settings. I can't lower the strings any more because they buzz and crackle enough already.:confused:
  2. Have u checked your intonation etc?

When i got my 5 string washburn, the first thing i noticed was the weight of the thing compared to 4 string basses. Granted my bass is probably just a heavy bass.

It took me maybe a week to get used to the 5 strings, and i guess the over all play was different.

You'll get used to it, but having said that, if its uncomfortable after a week, make sure u get it set up properly. maybe take it to someone for a second opinion.

3. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    Try putting on new strings and giving it a setup. If your action is so low its buzzing but your bass still feels stiff, then you might need your truss rod adjusted. You should probably take it to a luthier.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

What Merls and lo-end say about having someone check it out sounds like the way to go to me....a guitar tech at a store or a luthier.

That Yamaha had to do a lot of traveling to get to your country - the problem might even be a warped neck (hopefully, it just needs the truss rod and the bridge adjusted).

The action on a decent 5 shouldn't feel any different than a 4-string. The width of the fretboard is the only real noticeable difference to me as far has "feel."
  5. What model Yamaha 5 do you have? I just got a BBG5 and I had some bad fret buzz. Even though I have not replaced the factory strings yet, I tweaked the truss rod a bit to give it some more bow, and raised the action on my strings, retuned it, and now it sounds awesome. I'm thinking about putting some EB super slinkys on it.
    When I first pulled it outta the box, it was a little "sticky" but after a quick setup, it now plays like a champ. It did take a little getting used to after playing a 4 string for years. I like wide string spacing, 19mm, and my 5 string is much closer, haven't measured, but my guess is like 15 mm. Granted it doesn't sound like a lot, but I could tell right away. After you get used to it, it becomes pretty natural.