Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bad For My Bass/Cord/Amp/Pedalboard?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Petary791, Jul 15, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I don't know how many of you guys have seen the guitar solo for "Testify" by Rage Against the Machine; but what Tom does is take out his cord and touch his pickups (making that crazy feedback sound) and moves his wah. It makes a really cool sound. I've decided to try it on my bass. I just unplug the cord a little bit (still in the jack, just not in all the way) and move the wah, and I can get some awesome sounds. Should I not do this a lot? Will it damage my bass, cord, amp, and/or pedalboard? Thanks!

2. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    It'll damage your body.

I read somewhere that if there's a power surge or anything that you could get electrocuted. Tom Morrelo even had a special guitar built that gets the same sound but doesn't involve unplugging patch cables since he was afraid.

On the other hand we covered this song a while ago and my guitarist did it for serveral months without incident.

3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Whoah... that kinda makes me not want to do that anymore. Will I electrocute myself by touching the cord while it's unplugged or what?

4. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    I took my jack out, turned my amp on... then touched the jack to the metal guard protecting the speaker. It made a huge pop that really hurt my ears... not my smartest moment.

5. It is, however, bad for your speaker(s).

6. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So I should refrain from doing it then I see...

I guess I need to find other ways to make goofy noises...

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It's not likely to hurt anything unless you have the amp cranked so high that any bursts of noise damage the speakers.

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Not sure if this will work for everyone. When I hold a button down on a television remote while holding it near the pickups, it makes an electronic "clicking" noise. Not very useful, but a noise none the less.

9. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    It will not harm your bass, your cable, or you.. Depending on volume, it can harm your amp, speakers, and possibly your ear drums.. But hey.

10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Good ol IR at work for ya there. If you're ear's good enough, you can hear different clicks from each button...

-Ray

11. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    You think thats strange, try taking a metal afro pick across the G or D right by the pickups and try rapidly sliding it back and forth-"Alien Noises"
    and the A and E seem to be "deep whale coo-ing"

12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    And TC can afford buying new gear everyday.