1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bad Fret... fix...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Elemetal, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Elemetal

Elemetal

Mar 10, 2006
    Hi, Alright so heres my question when I put my action really low as low as possible so it sounds totally awsome too everynote it fine accept my 9th fret on my d string the problem I think is that either the 9th fret in that spot is too low or worn or the tenth fret is too high? I hope you get what I'm trying to say but anyway can anyone tell me how I may fix this. No this is not a problem with my strings as I've gone through numerous strings and it's still there.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You need a fret dressing, where they sand down the frets to be even and free of dents, then recrown them. Should fix it right up.

3. Elemetal

Elemetal

Mar 10, 2006
    Where could I get this, how much does it cost and what does it look like?

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Any guitar repair shop should be able to do it. And it looks like your bass, only with even frets.

5. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    Before you run off to the repair shop thinking you need your frets recrowned, someone should ask if the bass is new. Like you said, it all plays good except for your 9th fret. Find a repair shop, and tell them exactly what you said here. Hopefully you can just get that fret hammered down, or the fret that's causing the noise can be levelled. You have a recrown job done when you have a bunch of worn frets. Not just one. The cost on that should be under 50.00. Well under that. I know of a luthier who charges like 10.00 a fret.

6. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Unless all your frets are poorly levelled you don't need to get them all dressed and crowned. Just fix the offending fret. Getting all the frets done and the fret ends nicely rounded over is nice and feels very good to play on. Most factory jobs are a little less than they could be, because of cost constraints so you can get most basses playing better if you go all out, but it's expensive and not a necessity.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021