1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bad Gas advise [EBMM content]

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by strke-fender, Sep 26, 2009.

1. strke-fender

strke-fender

Feb 26, 2009
    Hey guys,

So I'm GASsing real hard, for an EBMM stringray. I can't stop thinking about how much i want one.

Right now I'm playing a MIM Jazz with DiMarzio's and BAII bridge and a Gibson Les Paul Five string with Bartolinis.

Would the street value of the two put together be enough to get a Stringray Five string?

Would the Stringray be able to cover the tonal possibilites that the two basses can do?

should I commit to just having a five string? I know thats personal preferance, but I'm not for sure.

Would the upgrade be worth it?? I know the MIM isn't the greatest craftmanship but the tone is nice (because of the upgrades) and the Gibson's feel and build is nice but the tone is less than great.

what would the Guitar Center trade in value be for my two?

sorry for the wall of text.. I appreciate any advise.

thanks guys.

2. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    DO NOT GO TO GC!

Trade or sell the basses here. And buy used! Period.

IMO, you wont get the same tones out of a single pickup Stingray as your two current basses.

3. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Do NOT trade in!! Sell them yourself on here or ebay, take that money and get you a stingray, they can be found for 600$-800$ sometimes.

As for wether it will cover the tonal possiblities of the others. The single humbucker will have a tone that your other basses cant cop, but because its a single humbucker it cant give you that jazz sound. If you want that dual pickup almost midscooped jazz sound get a two pickup stingray.

However I own a sterling bass with the humbucker and single coil. The stingray and sterling are great at giving that agressive cutting tone others cant cop, and in my experience ANY bass can give you that dull sound, however if you want that two pickup sound you have to have two pickups..

As I said I have a Sterling H/S But now im looking for a Stingray H to add to my collection, I have had 2 of them previously they sound great!

4. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Guitar center will screw you, they are a business and want profit.

20$ membership allows you to sell basses here i sold a stingray here i could nto sell locally not only did it sell fast i got a 250$ profit, it was well worth the 20$ fee.

If for some reason you cant pay the membership try posting on craigslist.com i have sold over 30 basses on there , guitars , 3 cars and numerous bikes etc. i think selling both would give you enough coin to get a used ray they go from about 750$-1000+ here.

5. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Look at the Traben Chaos Core basses. I know people rant about Traben all the time, but these basses are phenominal. I am playing one at the moment actually. It NAILS the stingray tone, and it can be changed, via pickup selector, to make it a jazz bass. It is just a third of the price of the stingray as well. Seriously, check out this bass.:bassist:

6. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I didnt even have to open this thread, I just saw your name and knew I would see a Traben plug. :D

7. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    I swear by it, it is just an awesome bass. It is so underated. Honestly, I have never liked Trabens, but this one just kills. It's perfect. It really can't get any better.:bassist: