Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bad Gig, Avatar Speaker Has Stress Cracks

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Jan 23, 2005.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    Hey, last night my town had a blizzard, 2 feet fell in a matter of hours. I also had a gig. On my way into the gig the band in front of us blocked the door with there truck, and us with gear in hand stood there thinking they would move it. Snow got on everything, including the vent on the top of my head and on my avatar 2x10.

First song, my head cuts out. I borrow a rig from another bass player, it was very nice of her. Once i get home i rig up my power amp and my combo and find out that my head is blown but my cab is not.

I see that some water had dried on one of my speakers so i took the grill off and wiped it off. I then noticed that my left speaker has stress line on it. Probally a result of clipping over the years, not from the rain, but because of the rain i relized it. Is it weird that only one speaker is like this?

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

i just sent an email to dave at avatar asking how much a new speaker will cost. Should i just get one? Or should i get 2 new ones?

For those of you wondering about what im gunna do for an amp, i should be buying an RBI Pre off a talk bass member so i will have that and i already got my power amp.

leave me some suggestions on what to do about my cab.

thank you.

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Bummer...sorry that happened.

Since Dave charges you a flat fee for shipping each speaker, I'd replace them one at a time...

I can't open the links, BTW. I get this message "Use from this location denied. Referrer is HTTP://WWW.TALKBASS.COM/FORUM/NEWREPLY.PHP?DO=NEWREPLY&NOQUOTE=1&P=1870778"

3. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Works now (thanks) ...and YUCK!!!! :(

Xmax has officially been exceeded!!!

5. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    Xmax?

6. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    Was it because my head was 210 watts and my cab was 600 watts? Because thats what i thought was the problem, my PLX poweramp will give me a higher wattage, closer to 600 like the cab. Is that it?

7. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    You can damage speakers by running a clipped signal into them. That generally results in voice coil over-heating and a short and - a recone. Not generally stress cracks. the stress crack is likely a result of too much low end signal. Like running a below cab-spec frequency into the cab at volume, maybe with the bass boosted ... (B-string with 40 hz boosted would do that ...) The pic's don't display for me so it's hard to say without seeing but it sounds a lot like you should be adding to your rig as well and reconing / replacing your diver(s). FWIW - If the other driver shows any signs of over excursion, repair / replace then as a pair as it is almost inevitable that you'll loose the other one soon ... better not to have that happen on a gig, eh ?

8. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You should get covers for the head and cab. $50 worth of protection will save a lot of money in the long run.

9. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Ask Dave for Eminence Kappa PROs, that handle more power and also more mechanical effort, due to higher excursion ratio than the Deltas your cab has. Good luck!

ANDRUCA

10. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    I think its me pushing too much bass into the speakers. Once i get money after i buy my pre i will buy at least one speaker. a new delat is only 45 bucks

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    +1. I often see people who uses a 2x10 as a standalone doing this exact same thing. The 2x10 on it's own often sounds a bit thin with everything set flat, so you boost a bit of lows. That's when all your trouble starts.

Adding 2 more 10's will stop this happening again.

As for th amp - did you plug it in and turn it on while it was still cold?