Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bad guitarists

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fart gas, Aug 16, 2001.

1. fart gas

fart gas Not Registered

Is it just me or are all electric Guitarists the same? My band has gone through three guitarists and every single one was the same. Whenever i tried to put popping and slapping in a song, they would get really mad. They were always hard to compromise with and they always wanted to be in the spotlight. Who else has experienced this?

2. fart gas

fart gas Not Registered

Anyone???:confused:

3. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Well, FLATULENT MIST, what do you expect, Hendrix? If you maintain that same attitude - and that signature - Jimi Won't Come to any of your auditions. It Just Won't OCcur.

4. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    :rolleyes:

5. The guitarists I play with are really good when it comes to bass, they like to see it out front (it helps that they're good friends), but the problem I have is that they think you can just put slap in anything, they will come up with a heavy thrash type riff and say 'I think slap would sound cool in there', which leaves the drummer and I saying 'LEAVE US SOME ROOM!!!!!!!':mad:
    The drummer and I both like a tight groove type feel, and the guitarists say 'cool, lets add really thick guitar' and then ask if we have enough room.
    Oh well, I suppose I'm just bitching now. At least they like hearing the bass.
    Just try to come to a middle ground.

6. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    Not all guitarists are the same. I have played with fantastic and very humble, yet extremely skilled guitarists. As long as you as a bassist know where you fit in, and the guitarist knows where he or she fits in, then things should be fine. Maybe it's the type of music you play or the age of the guitarists that you hang around with...

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I guess, with your infinite wisdom, it's just that people aren't good enough for you. Get used to it, and go away.

8. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Yeah really fart man, doesn't it suck when the bass player in a band is always insisting on slapping and popping in every cover song because he maintains that "songs are like, gay without it?"
    Oops, you're talking about guitarists, my bad. :p

9. fart gas

fart gas Not Registered

I never said in every song, but I try to put it in like one or two songs and only in like one little part of the song, im not trying to make it sound like tommy the cat or anything. I dont know why but they would get mad when I would just suggest it.

10. chris...lol!

it does remind me of that similar incident...

11. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    Well in that case I would say kick 'em out. Not all guitarists are the same, for example the guitarists in my band like to hear the bass out front.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Y'know, I always hear this stereotype about guitarists, and I have never played with one that was like this. Just lucky, I guess.

This is like saying that all rednecks live in mobil homes, or all african americans like watermelon.

Give me a break.

Stereotypes suck, that's what sucks.

13. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

That post made more sense than anything I've read in this thread so far.

14. it depends... if it is the guitarists song then he has a vision as to what it is supposed to sound like. If he doesnt want slapping or popping, then fair enough. If it is your song, then play it however you want to play it and tell him what you want him to play.
    Im guessing that in the vast majority of bands it is the guitarists that come up with the tunes, so its understandable that they are fussy about how they want the song to sound like. In this case it is the bassists job to create basslines that compliment the music, not to start slapping and popping for the hell of it. We bassists make the music sound better, we dont compete to share the spotlight.
    Jim

15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Where do I send the check?