Bad Habits

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Noknok, Nov 24, 2002.

1. Noknok

Noknok Guest

Nov 3, 2002
    Medford, Oregon USA
    I've been playing with my right hand thumb resting on the Pickup for so long as i've been playing, but recently my dad has told me to rest it on the E string so it stays muted. I've been trying to switch to that way but it's really frustrating, songs i know perfectly come out wrong becuase now i have to think about my right hand movements and placing, floating the thumb while i hit the E has been the hardest part, then putting it back on leaves me without cordination of the rest of the strings, getting slightly better at it but i wish i had learned that way from the start, it's hard to break a habit.

What kind of Bad habits have you guys had to deal with and change?
  2. i have the wrst habit there is for bass i play with a pick i started by playing guitar then moved to bass and i felt nake without the pick. Im getting better with it and can move alot faster with it but sometime the pick vibrated with the string and sounds awful.
  3. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    I use a floating thumb, ive been doing it without noticing ever since I first played bass, so thats not a real issue to me.

Once and a while when I slap I tend to hit tapping notes with my thumb, it sounds awful. It doesnt happen to often but when it does I cringe. Im starting to clean up a little bit though in my technique.:)

TWISTED Guest

Sep 8, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    You say you can play songs perfectly with your original technique, so how is it a bad habit?
  5. I have two bad habits mainly becuz i learned them on a crappy bass and they've carried thru.
    First... hangin my left hand thumb over the top of the fretboard ala Stevie ray vaughan. While it works for stevie to play notes on his E string, its a really bad postion to leave your hand in, and worse now that i play 5 strings hanging my thumb over the fretboard leaves my hand out of position. Its taken a long while to get out of this and now i do have to think about it but my thumb mirrors my middle finger psoition.
    second, when I get playing fast, I come down on top of the strings and i get a percussive clank. Its that annoying clackity-clackity you hear when you dig in. I still have to work on this one.
    not perfect yet
  6. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    The only "bad" habit I can think of is not alternating Index, Middle, Index, Middle etc all the time. I go with what works. If you can play stuff perfectly in your manner... than it's not a bad habit, it's your habit.
  7. Skavenger

May 26, 2002
    My bass teacher tells me that I have the habit of starting with the middle finger and THEN alternating between middle/index when I pluck the strings, but the sound doesn't degrade in any way so I guess it's OK to do so :).
  8. hibeam

Oct 16, 2002

instead of floating your thumb when you hit a note on the E string, try resting it on the p/u.

works for me!
  9. I learned to play on a cheap bass and I didn't have an amp so the worst habbit I had was playing with a too agressive atack...I'm working on it still but it's a lot better now!
  10. The placing your thumb on the pickup versus on the E is a question of style. If it works for you to play with your thumb on the pickup (I do this myself) do it. Do whatever your comfertable doing.
  11. When I play with my fingers :rolleyes: , when I play on the E, I rest my thumb on the pup, then on other strings I rest my thumb on the E...

My habits... Not practising enough ;), and I always hit the bottom of my hand on the saddle.. at least the skin will streghten from being cut up so many times :D
  12. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    My worst bad habit is cheating and fretting with the wrong finger or in the wrong spot (i.e. inbetween frets). I'm trying to un-learn these habits by practicing everything on a fretless. It's really difficult as I've played many songs sloppily for years. But I'm slowly improving.
  13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    My only bad habit is making 20 MINTUE SOLOS THAT RIP JT A NEW ONE!..................,,,no,,,not really,,,, i can't back that up. Along with what someone else said, the only bad habit i can think of right now is not useing index middle index middle.
  14. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    1) i pick my nose to eat the sweet sweet treasure within

2) i fart in bed

3) I smoke

4) i drink

5) i swear too much

5) i cant count

6) i dig in too hard when i play

7) i dont practice enough

8) i dont pay enough attention to my bad habits and consequently have quite a few
  15. mac2025

Nov 30, 2002
    too much attack using the right hand which creates alot of clanking with the strings on the last fret. Maybe from my upright days?
  16. Not setting the damn thing up since I bought it.:rolleyes:
  17. zerzig

Nov 11, 2002
    Hendersonville, TN
    Do you mean left hand or right hand?

I do both: 1) I clank on the frets when fingering with my left hand so I get a tap-pick 2) I do what others here have described as too much attack with the right hand.

What is the solution for #1?

I'm supposing the solution for #2 is turning up the volume and a softer touch.
  18. halfbanana

Nov 25, 2002
    #2 is my bad habit too. What i try to do is pluck strings so they vibrate side to side instead of smacking on the fretboard. But i'm only about 50% effective because i like my action so low. And because i suck.

And i'm sloppy with my fretting hand. Lots of buzz from incorrect fretting.
  19. I was self taught for about a year, so I managed to pick up a LOT of bad habits.
    With my left (fretting) hand I used to only play with index and middle fingers, I guess that was just lazyness, but I've started to build up a lot more strength in my pinkie and ring. Pinkie's still got a bit of work to do, but I'll get there.
    My left thumb still pushes against the neck instead of just resting.....I'm finding that to be a very hard habit to kick, I just don't seem to be a very relaxed person.
    My final (I hope) left hand problem was that I was not fretting with the tips of my fingers, which hampered speed, tone, and really lent itself to injury. Thankfully I've pretty quickly picked up the right way to do this.

For my right hand, my old, self taught technique was to rest my thumb on the pickup and pluck the strings with my index and middle fingers, but my teacher has told me to change it, quite dramatically. My new plucking technique is such: thumb resting on the E string, index on A, middle on D and finally ring on G, and those are the fingers I pluck the strings with....'tis quite strange. I didn't really have any bad habits with that, I just had to get used to it over about four very frustrating months.

So that's it, my previous and current bad habits. Sorry about the long post, :( there were just so many to write about! I think I must have had the worst technique of anyone in the TalkBass community.:D
  20. I guess i could say my bad habbit is not counting when i play. I have a steady natural rythem that i play and invent off of. Unfortunately sometimes i can't tell when the timing crosses over. For instance i'll think i've come back in on a 1, but it's actually a 3. I suppose only time and practice can break that habbit.