1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bad Ibanez Customer Service, fwiw

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Well, I never complain about stuff on-line but I was really aghast at the bad CS at Ibanez. I picked up a new Ibanez instrument with some minor issues from Musiciansfriend and this was essentially the conversation:

Me: Hey, I've got a few small problems.

CS: Take it to for local repair.

Me: OK, but I'm kind of worries this will invalidate the warranty.

CS: Yeah, it might.

Me: What about an authorized repair center?

CS: Sure you could take it to one.

Me: But I don't have one local.

CS: OK, so do you want a return authorization to send it to us?

Me: Will you guys repair it or replace it?

CS: Well, I'm not sure we'll do anything because there might not really be anything wrong with it.

:rolleyes:

2. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    That does sound pretty worthless. What were the issues, exactly?

3. debassr

debassr

Jan 23, 2008
    Boston
    You might want to elaborate a little more to us exactly what you feel is wrong with it so we have some sense of what's actually going on.

4. tommyr01

tommyr01 Simma Down Nah ! Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Tucson, AZ, USA
    Can you still return it to musicians friend during the return time frame? I'm pretty sure if you call MF with a report of problems, they will take it back w/out you having to pay for shipping and they should be able to give you a new one...... I've had to do that a couple times.....

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Still better than the time I sent a bass back to Ernie Ball because frets were coming loose and a guy blamed the frets not sounding on my ramp :D So what's wrong with the Willis?

6. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    TBH that all sounds fairly reasonable to me. Just based on what you've written, it seems like the only complaint is that they didn't have good "bedside manner" and speak to you in soothing tones. Is there anything more to the picture?

7. Coop Soup

Coop Soup

Aug 24, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Correct. I picked up a piece of gear that came to me defective and they were very accomodating.

For the original poster. You sometimes have to be a bit more firm with the customer service people, but don't ever be completely disrespectful.

8. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Every time I call any customer service (which I really hate doing) after they introduce themself I ask them how they're doing. They realize immediately they're not dealing with some a-hole and will actually try to help you out alot more. Even if they can't help, they'll tell you in a nicer way than usual. Customer service is the same as retail employees: they generally hate their job, and hate their customers even more, so making yourself a person instead of a customer is the first step to getting real service.

However if you're talking to someone in New Delhi, you're screwed right off the bat. When I get Indian customer service reps, I immediately ask for a supervisor. Saves us both alot of time and aggravation.

9. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    send it back for a refund.

G

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    If I were the CS representative, I would never have suggested taking the item to a non-authorized service center. Other than that, that's pretty much the way I would have handled the initial conversation.

What is the problem / defect?

Riis

11. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

Return it.

12. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Brian...not the Willis thank god, it is perfect.

Hey guys...to elaborate a little more...there were just some high frets which were choking notes even at the factory default setup. The bass plays well but for a few isolated spots.

Again, the guy first suggested I take it local even though it would have invalidated the warranty. When I brought it up, he agreed that it would. I left out the part that he then started asking me when I bought it (I guess to argue that it was fret wear and not covered).

I guess you "had to have been there". The CS guy really talked to me like an idiot and/or whiner. I think Ibanez makes a very good product. I am kind of surprised at the guy answering the phones for them.

I agree he didn't do anything "wrong" (except for suggest I take it local), it was more or less the bad delivery and lack of interest.

I think I might just return it to MF and eat the return shipping. It's a shame because I do quite like it.

W

13. Horny Toad

Horny Toad Guest

Mar 4, 2005
    NJ

You should not have to eat the shipping. Ask for an exchange and they should pay for the return shipping. I've done it with them before.

14. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Me too, they are actually really good about that, they'll send you a UPS call tag which is basically a label you slap on the box and which means they pay the shipping.

15. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    I've done that too.