1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bad Ideas and Random Projects

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hondo4life, Feb 27, 2017.

1. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Thread for random bad ideas.

I want to take another cheap P bass, raise the action, string it with flats, install a sponge, roll the tone back, and play some mean walking bass lines.

I am trying to thin out my bass gear, but the GAS is strong.

2. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Good idea :thumbsup:

shawshank72 likes this.
  3. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Don't talkbass like that. I'll do it. I swear I will.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Tort, 'burst P...dead flats...delicious:roflmao:

5. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    On the plus side, you'll be set up for slide bass when the mood strikes!

6. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Of course! I forgot about the tort. See, I'm not a flats/tort fan at all, but it seems like the only way to build a bass like this.

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    There's a thread around here somewhere on different tips and tricks to deaden new flats.:thumbsdown:

8. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I bet I can rub them down with steel wool, spray them down with an acid solution, lay them out in the street and let traffic drive over them for a few days, and throw them on the roof of my house and let the squirrels play with them for about a week.

9. Fat Freddy

Fat Freddy Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2016
    Albany NY
    Or.....just store them in your pants for an hour...:thumbsup::D

10. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    If THAT doesn't bring the funk, then nothing will!

-robert

ICM, S-Bigbottom, BurnOut and 2 others like this.
  11. Made a piccolo bass out of my Mikro. Then converted it back to normal.

Complete waste of time but idle hands are the devil's playground.

ICM likes this.
  12. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    I thrive on this stuff. There's winners, and there's losers. But that didn't stop Thomas Edison , or George Washington Carver. Or Leo Fender for that matter.

13. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC

I have three acoustic guitars that I no longer care about. Can turn them into piccolo basses?

14. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    This idea won't go away. I have a strong urge to play in a jazz trio. I want that upright/db-ish sound. That is the easy part, though. The hard part is finding anyone else to play jazz with.

15. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Make a triple neck guitar...err bass

16. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I have a problem with multi-neck instruments. That is, I think they are ugly and stupid. IMHO

17. Frank Tuesday

Frank Tuesday

Jul 11, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If you put them close together, it will be like having one wide neck and not three separate necks.

18. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Hmmm ... you know I would, but I am fresh out of wood glue.

I really want a to pick up an SX fretless P and do the previously mentioned things. However, I do not see a fretless rosewood fingerboard with 'burst finish. There is a red body, or a 'burst with maple. UGH.

19. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    I still have this Seismic 210 cabinet that I don't really use anymore. I was thinking, what if I wired in a crossover and put a little mid/high driver in it - not quite a tweeter, though. Wouldn't that be great? Kind of like a mini fEARful, and not nearly as well designed.

20. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I've mentioned it before--but when I was in high school one of my friends told me why my bass didn't sound better was that the body was too light--it needed more mass.
    Since it is an EB3 copy (SG shaped) the plan was to get some denser wood & make a bigger body--switching the body hardware & electronics to the new body and use the body to make an SG copy guitar--I actually did buy a cheap neck & one of the pickups.

Fortunately this stayed int he bad idea category and never became a real project.
    I switched to round wound strings (Which some here will disagree with) & removed the bridge mute/foam (Which some here will disagree with) & the bass sounded much better (Which some here will disagree with).
    But it was what I was looking for--and I also didn't want to ruin my bass as well-so the project died.

I used the pickup in a guitar I bought a few years later and the neck hangs on a guitar stand.
    Maybe one day it will get a body...

S-Bigbottom and hondo4life like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021