1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bad joke - or....?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Chris K, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Gorinchem,The Netherlands
    Partner: Otentic Guitars
    This story I find embarassing to tell...

I did a few reheasals with a pop cover band I'll be gigging with Friday next. On our latest rehearsal we were playing so xxxxxx loud... dynamics, transparancy, all finesse was gone. It was all pretty sloppy.

I said; maybe if we all turned down a little, we could hear what we are doing... But they laughed at me and went: this is nothing, you should hear us play with our other band, you should have heard us play the other day etc. etc., what kind of a bass player are you?

I was so pxxxed off... A couple of songs later I got so fed up with it, that I turned my volume down all the way and went on playbacking, kept it up for THREE songs in a row. :D

Nobody noticed. So I went: you guys really believe it's O.K. to sound like this? Sure, they said, and we can hear you perfectly well. I banged my hand across my strings and said: that's hard to believe, since I turned my volume pot all the way down three songs ago.

They certainoy couldn't laugh about it. :scowl: The band leader said I had been very childish :hyper: I hadn't expected them to take it that seriously; I even apologized. But later on I got the feeling that I shouldn't have.

What do you guys think?

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Do the gig, then get out. Life's too short.

3. Bass-Waster

Bass-Waster

Jan 7, 2008
    Ireland
    this.

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I would only go to the gig armed with the best earplugs you have. If not... step out of the gig now.

:: sitting here with my ears going sckreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee from the 80's and 90's ::

5. Tylerrr51

Tylerrr51

Nov 28, 2009
    Milford, CT
    Whats a band without jokes? just kidding, If they noticed you were turned down and got mad then that seems like a legitimate reason to be mad, but the fact that they didn't notice you were down makes it seem like they don't pay attention to how its sounding. you should start loading up your gear into the car next practice, see if they notice...

6. Tim C.

Tim C.

Feb 4, 2010
    Chicago
    They don't respect you enough to know whether or not your playing, let alone value your input. Find a new gig...?

7. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Same with me brother, only I already started back in the sixties...
    And I Was wearing earplugs already, that are said to take 15dB off....

8. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    That's the point I'm afraid. I don't need the gig, but some of those guys are old friends, so it's :oops:

9. Murph#2

Murph#2

Mar 24, 2010
    murph#2
    We all know that playing too loud at a gig can be a bad thing, I have heard groups that are really really good play to loud and it just hurts them badly, Having people saying a band sucks speaks for itself and it's ashame when the band doesn't really suck except for the fact that they are playing to loudly.
    It is also very unprofessional, as far as practice? Well it can be fun to get a little loud but when you can't hear or discern what's going on , what's the purpose? We all know this. In my personal experience the first and foremost is my own health and safety, face it! you damage your hearing and then what? Tinnitus sucks, I know I have it.

10. becker4567

becker4567

Jul 26, 2008
    ^ Words to live by!

11. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    You apologized for doing everything you could to improve the group's performance?! You weren't being childish, they were being stupid! They should have been very embarrassed, and worried in regards to the band's sound, that you could do something like that without them even noticing. The truth is, they were threatened and resentful by/of the fact that you were right, they were wrong, and you proved it. And on top of it, they were incapable of admitting it, and instead put you down. THAT is very childish IMO.

12. That's pretty much what I was going to say...

13. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I suggest getting the 25db filters.

Maybe record some rehearsals so everyone can hear how it really sounds.

Alternatively, borrow a 1000w amp and a couple of 8x10's and see how they enjoy being drowned out.

Obviously they have no sense of humor when they were faced with the facts about how loud they are actually playing and that what they think they're hearing as far as the music goes is not what they are actually hearing.

Seems like they are legends in their own minds and you've blown their cover.

Most importantly, they won't alter their behavior even when faced with the fact that what they're doing is not working. How are their non-band lives working? I suspect not that well.

As far as anything else, if you need the gig and they don't listen to your suggestions, keep playing the gigs and don't make suggestions.

PS. Don't ever apologize for exercising your right of free speech; especially when you have the facts on your side.

14. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Been there. Done that.

One of the greatest things I ever read in bass player magazine was the thing in the back by I can't remember who that said that he basically decides on whether a band is worth his time or not by 3 things. The music, the hang, and the pay. At least one of those things has to be really good for him to put any time in, 2 of them makes it worthwhile, and all 3 is pretty much the perfect gig. If you don't really like the people, the music sounds horrible or it doesn't turn you on, and it's not paying a whole lot - get out.

15. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Been there done that.

One of the things that happens when people suffer hearing loss is paranoia, embarrasment, and being difficult. I think your friends have hearing loss. Seriously, if they say they can hear the bass fine, when you're not actually playing, it means they aren't hearing the bass - they are feeling it. But when it's that loud, it's not just the bass you are feeling it's the low end from the guitars, kick drum, etc. If it's too loud with plugs for a rehearsal, and they actually play louder, I wouldn't be surprised if they are actually losing some hearing, or at least loss in some frequencies.

I couldn't play with folks like that because no matter what, they can't hear themselves unless they max out. And when they get ear fatigue (which they will) and lose some more hearing, they will crank it up again just to be heard. Short of in-ear monitors, they'll never be able to play at a reasonable volume.

16. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Just wondering what kind of gigs they get playing so loud.

17. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Probably not repeat ones.

18. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Sounds like they're all too much into themselves to give a flip what you think (or play, or don't play). I'd be lookin' for a new gig.

19. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Old friends? Do the gig, then find lower decibel ways to hang.

20. Not a bad joke at all. You proved your point, they're so loud they can't even tell when the bass drops out completely.

If they think that's your fault, no point continuing. Your hearing is you rmost valuable asset as a musician. I would not risk that for any band.

Randy