1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bad joke - or....?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Chris K, Apr 19, 2010.

1. JoZac21

JoZac21

Nov 30, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm sorry? What! I couldn't hear your post!!!

Seriously, if the volume is compromising dynamics and cohesiveness, then you were totally in the right calling them out on it, IMO.

2. Exploiter8

Exploiter8 Demons run when a good man goes to war

Jan 18, 2010
    Midwest
    Commercial FREE!
    Me too!

3. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Gorinchem,The Netherlands
    Partner: Otentic Guitars
    LOL, you hit the nail on the head... Open air concerts - it's true! :rolleyes:
    But Friday we play in a pub the size of an average living room, with drums, keys, THREE guitars, and...
    bass.

4. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    How about a tearing a page out of Mr. Entwistle's book?

jae-76_sunnstacks.

5. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    I stand amazed that they could play three songs and not notice that you were gone. If my drummer or rhythm guitar change their dynamics, even a little, I take a serious look at what the song is doing, because otherwise I would be a sore thumb out there, acting like a ...dork.

They obviously play against you, and not with you.

6. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    Bail.

7. David Pinton

David Pinton

Jul 27, 2008
    Normandie, France
    Builder DPinton Guitars and Basses
    Same feeling here:

If they can't tell wether you're playing or not, there's no point in being there at all. They obviously don't need a bassist.

9. TheXym

TheXym

Oct 19, 2006
    Huge +1 on that. Phenomenal back page article. If somebody reminds me next week when I come back from all-states, I'll dig through my back issues to find it. Maybe we should contact BP to see if we can sticky the article?

10. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Yeah, I see the problem. Phil Spector would be proud... a "wall of sound"....

Everyone's downsizing and it seems like the band should too. Or is it the "full employment" band where everyone they know gets together and plays in the group?

11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Stumbo and I both agree. :)

12. Bring your smallest light weight setup. Play a reasonable volume level for the space. Thank them after the gig and leave.

Lose their number and get caller ID.

13. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    Just go all out and fill the venue with that much amplification and speakers that there is no room for anyone.
    You might be able to breakup kidney stones with the piercing sonics.
    But seriously to play at ear bleeding volume is not good the likes of small Bars and Pubs when the staff can't hear what people are wanting to order for a drink, or drive people away.
    If they are not listening to you, then maybe if you can't beat them, then join them, just bring your ear plugs.

14. ajb

ajb

Mar 20, 2005
    I think you're playing with a bunch of amateurish douchebags.

15. duff beer

duff beer

Dec 2, 2007
    Winnipeg
    I have minor tinnitus in my right ear from a band that was too loud...and I quit after 4 rehearsals. I'm still mad at myself for not having ear plugs from the start and putting up with it that long. I am lucky enough that it is only noticeable when it is quiet...but that was still enough for me to invest in musician ear plugs. Now, I won't even cut the grass without wearing them.

By the way...I paid about $250 for musician ear plugs, but would pay 10x that to get rid of the tinnitus.

In my current band we play quietly and all of us can hear everything clearly. In many cases, bands use volume to hide their deficiencies.

16. REAPER52

REAPER52

Aug 17, 2008
    FL-Central
    Sounds to me that you were disrespected by these guys. I am surprised you even had to ask here for advice.......MOVE ON

17. jarrhead

jarrhead

May 23, 2009
    Tinnitus does suck. ESPECIALLY when sleeping. I'm 14 and I've already got it. I now wear earplugs just so I don't make it any worse.

My honest advice is leave the gig.

18. dreadheadbass

dreadheadbass

Dec 17, 2007
    england
    i agree with everyone who's telling you to duck out before your hearing suffers or worse you end up strangling your fellow band mates

i love the way they called you childish despite bragging about how loud they were thats like the teenagers who brag about how much beer they can handle you just know its exagerated, flawed, full of lies and they cant get laid leave em to it n join a real band

19. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    14 man!! No one should have to suffer with Tinnitus from 14!! That's a freaking War-Crime

20. James Judson

James Judson

Jul 16, 2009
    When I was 12, the guy with the biggest amp was lead guitar player (no questions asked). Sounds like your playing with 12 year olds. I've tried to quiet down gui****s and to date I have not been successful.