1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bad joke - or....?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Chris K, Apr 19, 2010.

1. You need to tell them 2 things.

1) TURN THOSE DAMN THINGS DOWN!!!
    2) GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Randy

2. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Gorinchem,The Netherlands
    Partner: Otentic Guitars
    Thanks for your compassion, but it's not my regular band, it's a one time gig, as far as I'm concerned...

I AM in a decent band playing a mixture of funk, soul, acid jazz, r%b etc. When we rehearse (singer, guitar, keys, bass, drums), I don't even need to wear earplugs (but yet I do) and despite the low volume we groove like xxxx.

Friday is the big night with the other guys... My plan is as follows: I'm taking my tiny, but gorgeous PJB Briefcase (100W, 2x 8" plus 8" subwoofer :D)

http://www.philjonespuresound.com/products/?id=8

and if nobody cares to make me heard, that's to be the way it is...

Hang, pay, play: I fear a triple zero coming up.

3. 60's Bluesman

60's Bluesman

Feb 7, 2010
    Michigan
    dont apologize for being reasonable, do this gig and leave

4. You're quite likely to embarrass yourselves. It may be your pals but keep that in consideration...

5. I think it's hilarious that you turned all the way down for 3 songs and they didn't notice, I like your style. If it were me I probably would have turned up out of anger. Sounds like these guys listen to themselves and don't listen to what's going on within the band?!? If they're old friends then hopefully you all can laugh about it later and a lesson can be learned. Arena volume wonÂ’t work in a small club/bar situation, been there done that and didn't get invited back. Good luck with the gig!!!

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    hey, if they don't even notice that they can't hear you, then you don't need to bother learning the tunes! what could be easier?

smile, mime some bass for a couple sets and go home. just remember to plug the bass in so no one suspects anything :ninja:

7. Chris K

Chris K

May 3, 2009
    Gorinchem,The Netherlands
    Partner: Otentic Guitars
    So last night was gigging night....
    The hang was great, the audience both great and grateful, every once in a while I could actually hear myself play :rolleyes:

We were doing rigs + PA for the vocals. We did a soundcheck that was pretty much OK, but, well, you just have to have enough discipline to keep your hands off your pots... that turned out to be lacking.

Still another problem was: since I play fretless, I could hardly check my intonation while playing.

It was soooooooooo loud.

Deapite my earplugs I have been listening to a b" in my left ear since I woke up... it's slightly sharp...

Last time ever with those guys.

8. This, I have seen this way too many times. As a result I always make SURE that I have enough power in reserve to drown out everyone else completely. You know how it goes 1 guitar turns up just because, then another guitar turns up cause he can not hear himself, then the drummer plays louder, then the first guitar turns up again, because he can't hear, and on, and on it goes. THEN, I turn WAY up, blow them all out, get their attention, and tell them " alright, now, TURN THAT FU*&ING SH*T DOWN ". and they really have no choice. If this happen too often... see ya.

9. I say, "Well played, sir."

I certainly wouldn't be embarassed about your little graphic demonstration. If nothing else, it shows that they could sound just the same without a bass player, and that is a scary thought.

10. nsmar4211

nsmar4211

Nov 11, 2007
    Send em a doctors bill for getting your ears check :).
    I wouldn't have even done the gig....at least not without those airplane ear muff things (the ones the guys at the airport use).

You were brave to do it fretless :)

As for turning off at rehersal......I did that. One member was complaining the bass was too loud when in fact it was the drums and the eq'ing on the guitars that was too loud. I finally had enough and turned my volume all the way off. After 3 songs I asked how the volume was.....they said better :eyebrow:. I whacked my strings and when no sound came out they all looked at me like :eek:. The drummer commented he was wondering why he couldn't hear me but thought it was just him. Needless to say I was not a happy camper. Proves your point though :)