Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bad live vocalists!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by justateenpoet, Sep 5, 2005.

1. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    Posted in off topic because on non-bass subject matter.

A few days ago I saw a repeat of the MTV Video Awards because I have nothing better to do with my life. During the show, I was treated to My Chemical Romance performing "Helena" and The Killers doing "Mr. Brightside". I'm a fan of both bands and both songs, but the live performances really left me scratching my head. I can't say it it nicely, so here goes...Gerard Way (MCR) and Brandon Flowers (The Killers) sound awful live. Gerard was barely audible over the rest of the band, and Flowers sounded like a cat with a head-cold. Bleaaaaa :(

Anyone else feel the same way after seeing the show?

Have you ever seen any other bands that just didn't meet your expectations live?

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Queens of the Stoneage... all live clips I've seen of them, Josh Homme's be off time/pitch.

Surprisingly, the Foo Fighters. Dave Grohl sounds good and everything, but he's so annoying. Right before every chorus, he seems to shout something like "Ya ready?" or "C'mon" or "Alright"... it's almost like saying to the audience, sorry you had to sit throught those verses... here... here's a chorus to make you feel better.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Anthony Kiedis, Billy Corgan.

4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    The guy for Third Eye Blind. Saw them open for the Goo Goo Dolls a couple years ago and I wanted to go on stage and get the mic out of his hand, he was that bad.

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Taking Back Sunday. Yikes. There's a *lot* of studio magic that goes into that guy's voice.

6. Steven Tyler was horrible when I saw him back in the 70's (probably drug/alcohol related, don't know about now).

Robert Plant can't quite do what he used to do - but he is forgiven - because practically no one else could ever do what he used to do.

I've only seen System Of A Down on SNL and thought they sucked - but I love the recording (don't know the name of the song).

7. James Labrie, I think he tries to sing louder than he should, because on the budokan DvD, before the show when he is practicing, he sounds great.

8. mattsk42

mattsk42 $100 off new Directv subsp.PM me BEFORE signing up Supporting Member

Like someone said earlier, RHCP. He sounds great on the CDs, but any live stuff I've ever heard he sounds whiny and really out of pitch. Plus he decides to yell instead of singing on a lot of songs. The rest of the band is great, though, so it's too bad.

9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

oh, man. anyone else remember when they played on some vh1 awards show in either 1999 or 2000?

man. that was a train wreck and a half for anthony kiedis.

and i'd like to add to this list...

ashlee simpson

:bag:

10. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Anytime he performs without effects on the vocals:

Bono.

11. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    Anyone notica that in the new Foo Fighters video he looks like he's trying to eat the mic in the choruses?

:meh:

12. I think he meant singers who sing LIVE. :smug:

+1 on Corgan. They're production in studio is awesome, but it sounds as though they do live shows without a soundcheck or something. He tries to sing loud and gets pitchy.

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Non bass, music related topics go in Miscellaneous.

14. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The guy who sings in that Final Countdown amateur video.

Good lord!

15. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    +1

I´ve been to a Foo Fighters concert and Dave is an excellent live singer, but you are right on the "Ya ready!" "Alright" thingie always before the chorus, that gets old, real fast!

16. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    +1 I love SOAD, but they suck live. Everything I've heard of them live has been horrible. The new stuff with the guitarist doing backing vocals doesn't make it any better. He's horrible on CD and worse live.

I've never been impressed with Maynard from Tool from what I've heard live. To quote Randy Jackson, "very pitchy".

17. Granted he doesn't have the finest voice, but Billy Corgan doesn't sound bad on the bootlegs I have...

18. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    How has this thread gone this far without mention of Peter Gabriel?

I love many of his studio recordings...BUT live he was physically painful.

Tony Levin was still great, though.

19. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I have their 'Live At Slane' DVD, and I always thought it was really good. I've never seen anything else by them live though, I'm surprised to find that so many people dislike his performance.

Graeme

20. I posted this before I read that ^^^^ post. Oh well, doesn't matter.

I'd have to say Anthony Kiedis also. However, on the Live at Slane Castle DVD he sounds better than he usually does live. It's somewhere between his normal live sound and his recorded CD sound. Good enough to listen to at least.