1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bad Luck w/Speakon Cables

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by superheavyfunk, Mar 27, 2013.

1. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Am I the only one who has bad luck with these darn things? I bought a new one just yesterday and today it's not working. Is there a particular brand that you buy that's lasted you for a while?

2. The nice thing about speakons is that you can take them apart and re-wire them with just a screw driver. As far as which cables I use, I buy ends and roll my own.

3. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Never had a problem with a Speakon cable. If it's not a genuine Speakon, that may be your problem. There's only one real connector, but numerous fakes.

4. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    Some amps require different pin assignments,
    especially if you have a bridged amp.

What amp you got? Is it bridged?

Tabdog

5. tabdog

tabdog

Feb 9, 2011
    There are two pin and four pin and even
    eight pin Speakon connectors and the pin
    assignments are changeable,

Tabdog

6. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    To be honest, I'm no gearhead and I don't know whether or not my amp is bridged. I'm using an Ampeg PF-500 head. It has two outs for the cab: 1 Speakon & 1 1/4". I'm running this into a newly purchased TCE 2x10 cab which I'm certain works well because I used it in the store before I took it home.

The ends on the most recent cable I bought say: "Neutrik NL2FC".

7. Does the amp work via the 1/4" jack?

8. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Really? Jeez. I thought a cable was a cable was a cable. Man... I guess I've got a lot of research to do.

9. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Yep! When I plugged it into another amp to test it, it worked fine. This is why I believe the problem lies in the cable itself.

10. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Dumb question but are you turning the connector until it locks in place? On both ends?

11. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

You can check the pins for continuity with a multi-meter in the ohm setting.

12. This. The cable may have been assembled incorrectly(wrong pins used)

13. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Yep! (dumb questions make the world go 'round - they also ensure that all variables are accounted for when troubleshooting, so THANKS!)

Incidentally, the cable I bought is labelled "The Rapco Horizon Company - Commercial Series - 14 AWG blah blah blah"

14. This is important. They go in at about 10:30 and must be rotated clockwise to lock in place. If you just push them in like a 1/4" they are not in proper contact.

15. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Rather than try to fix the thing, I'm just going to return it, as its less than 24 hours old. It's just a pain in the butt because this is the second one that hasn't worked for me. The first one died in a rehearsal.

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Either crappy cables or you bought a +2-2 instead of a +1-1. Make sure it's the proper cable. See if you can test in the store. If it works there and not on your amp, it may be the jack on your amp that's bad.

17. He's got the 2 conductor version, just 1+/-. It seems unlikely that two cables would go bad, they are rather robust. Could be the speakon jack in the head or cab has a bad solder connection.

18. I have four Horizon Speak-on cables for my PA, no problem in three years so far. Are you sure the cable is your problem? I can see possibly getting one with a loose wire and being intermittent but two cables makes me question either not locking them in place or a fault in the amp head's connector.

19. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    An Nl2 only has two pins: +1 and -1.

20. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Dec 3, 2012
    :p My thought, as well.

My question is, since it's so unusual for the cables to fail out of the package, are you sure the sockets at your amp and your cabinet aren't the problem?