1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bad Monkey Buffer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tomhanzo, Mar 30, 2009.

1. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    I had an amazing discovery today, well... it was weird.

I used to have my board set like this
    bass -> NS-2 -> loop -> Bad Monkey -> Hot Tubes -> loop -> NS-2 -> PS-3 -> amp

then i changed it to
    bass -> NS-2 -> loop -> Bassballs -> Hot Tubes -> loop -> NS-2 -> Bad Monkey -> amp

It changed everything. My Hot Tubes sounds completely different, my clean signal sounds different, my Bad Monkey sounds different and I'm digging the Bassballs :smug:.

I guess the buffer in the Bad Monkey is so whatever it is, that moving it has changed my whole sound. I'm done with the PS-3. I tried just sticking the Bassballs between the Bad Monkey and Hot Tubes, but with just the NS-2 as a buffer at the end I lost a lot of tone.

Has anyone else ever had this happen with a buffer pedal?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

I don't even think you need an additional buffer in your chain. The NS-2 itself has 4 of them. But yeah they give strange results sometimes.

3. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I might suggest that removing the PS-3 buffer might have had more to do with it than the movement of the monkey.

4. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    I know, but it seemed to not help much at all tone wise. I tried it at the end and it just sucked.

Yeah i didnt really make that point, but thats what i figured. I just dont have any use for the PS-3, the NS-2 didnt sound right at the end, so it forced the Bad Monkey to the end.

I have worked with this set up and I like it now. Its different and fun, but i like it.

~~!!EVERYONE SHOULD BUY A HOT TUBES!!~~
    (sorry i just really love this pedal and wish more people had it. We could talk about it ;).)

:bag:

5. Do you have an old Hot Tubes, or the newer reissue (the one that actually has tubes)? I've been interested in the older one for some time, and was curious how it was for bass.

Thanks,

Lyle

6. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    Well Kim Gordon used the SS one. I have the one with tubes. It is incredible. The bassist of Black Rebel Motorcycle Club uses the tube one, so you should listen to them for a good taste of it.

FYI you can change the tubes out for any kind of taste you have.