1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BAD MONKEY help needed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by josbroek, Apr 2, 2009.

1. josbroek

josbroek

Jan 22, 2009
    belgium
    hi, i recently bought the digitec bad monkey overdrive pedal, i like it but it doesnt rly boost bass, some1 got tips on my EQ or stuff? because im short on cash for a humphrey mod :bawl:

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Are you confident enought to change a couple of capacitors with a soldering iron? If so there's some info on the required mods buried in a thread around here somewhere...

3. josbroek

josbroek

Jan 22, 2009
    belgium
    no im not :crying::help:

4. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Any idea what thread that would be? I've got a US Bad Monkey I'd love to mod for Bass.

5. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    Found this

Is that the one you were referencing?

6. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    I have a factory one. I just set the lows at 3, highs at 4, and gain at 11. It gives me an ampeg growl.

7. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9

Sep 1, 2008
    I'm kinda mad I found this thread now instead of a couple weeks ago. I have a Bad Monkey from playing guitar but never bothered to play my bass through it. I just tweeked around with it and got pretty much the tones I needed when I just spent $150 on a Tech21 VT bass pedal:crying:. Oh well you and learn I guess. I am not having any trouble losing low end, if anything it is giving me more than the walls of my house can handle. I am about as close to getting that Jack Bruce on Live Cream Vol. II tone that I think I can get out of a p-bass with rounds. Just for reference I have my settings like this (all knob settings reference clock positions, not notches on the dial):

Level: 8 o'clock (although I can vary this between the amp and pedal to get the same tone obviously)
    Low: 4 o'clock
    High: 1 o'clock
    Gain: 2:30 (in between 2 and 3 o'clock)

Works wonders for me through my Ibanez SW35 practice amp and sole amp. I think anything I lack will have to be made up with some better eq and more importantly an EB-0 with flats.
    ~Nick

8. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    man nice setting. i use a VM telebass so i had to roll the low back to 2 o'clock.

I am shooting for that exact Jack Bruce tone. I can't believe you said that.

I've been thinking of getting a VT, cause i thought it would bring me closer. If you had tried the bad monkey first would you have still bought the VT?

9. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9

Sep 1, 2008
    Honestly no I am going to return it or sell it...one of the two most likely. It is a very nice pedal and gives a lot of tonal variety, but like I said I don't need all that. I am having trouble getting tube breakup sound without getting what I consider that annoying buzzsaw sound. That being said it is a very nice pedal. I think the bad monkey could do it if I had either VM tele bass or an SG bass. Like I said, I am surprised at close I can get with this $40 pedal...I'm taking it off craigslist immediately! Hell, I may grab another and set them up differently so that I can run them in sequence or isolate different tones. The only other guitar OD pedal I heard is tweakable for bass is the Rocktron Austin Gold...also on my list.
    ~Nick

P.S. You had the opportunity to play the Epiphone EB-3 long scale SG bass? I was wondering if so how it compares to the TB? I am definitely more of a Fender guy and like the necks better but wanted to know how you like the TB?

10. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    Well I will never sell my TB. Its mine from now on.
    I have had a Squire P-bass, Epiphone Ripper, Squire Jazz, Epiphone EB-3, and I have a P-bass that i put together from Luther parts. Out of all those basses only the TB has made me happy. Amazing tone and feel. The neck is like nothing else, so smooth and soft. I have played several basses over time from Rics to Ibanezes.

The way to best describe the sound is a Epiphone Rivoli. I love my Telebass. :smug: supppppppppeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrr happy with it. If you want that old Epiphone humbucker sound in a Fender this is it.

11. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    The Bad Monkey sounds REALLY good going into the VT Bass, like they were made for eachother.

12. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    really?

I had my BM before my Hot Tubes and it made it sound amazing. I dont use it in that order anymore, but the BM is a great +1 pedal.

13. ccrnnr9

ccrnnr9

Sep 1, 2008
    I got the chance to tinker with this for 10min before my room mates came home the other day...damn room mates! Always ruining my fun. I can't wait to play around with it more.
    ~Nick

14. josbroek

josbroek

Jan 22, 2009
    belgium
    thanks for that one :p

15. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    Thats a good one right :smug:

16. Mads

Mads Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2005
    Oslo, Norway
    Once again, I agree very much with this statement.
    I regretted buying the Bad Monkey even after doing the "badder monkey" mods...

But getting the VT and putting the Bad Monkey in front of it made a ton of difference...

(Maybe because I fell in love with the VT almost instantly, but it sure helped me...)

17. RedsFan75

RedsFan75

Apr 26, 2007
    Cincinnati
    I used the settings tweaked like some posted previously and it really sounded good without modifying the caps!

18. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    My settings? Well it took me a long time to get that setting honed in.

I had it set real high gain forever and didnt like it. I quit using it for a while, then i decided to try it again as an ampeg emulator. Thats how i got this setting.

19. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    If you set the bass to 3 o'clock and the treble maxed out, the frequency response is almost flat, with the a high end roll-off due to the speaker simulation. I had a custom version built where I can mix in my dry bass sound without effecting the pedals gain. I can also turn the simulation on and off. It's the perfect od now.