Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bad News, but good in a way?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassMan2000, Aug 10, 2001.

1. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Well bad news for me today :( . The status I was suppose to be getting was sold. To make matters worse it'll take a long time to come here from england. So I gave up! I got a question for you guys though. Has anyone ever tryed a bass with Ligh Wave pickups in them? I've heard great things about them in adds about Dan Glen with his Modulus. I checked out the website and saw some basses available with this set-up. Would it be worth saveing up for a zon light wave? Or just to get the noraml pickups? Either way I'm getting a zon 5 string..... Eventually........:D

2. Hey bassman!

I have a Zon Lightwave fretless. I really like the LW system for fretless but have not played a LW fretted bass. On my fretless, it is very expressive with great sustain.

Depending on your needs and your current bass "inventory", I would not recommend LW as your only bass. It is not a traditional sound and may not fit in all situations. But, as an additional "voice" it is wonderful.

Absolutely try before you buy.

Good Luck!
    Jeff

3. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Thanks Jeff.

The only problem is that I've never tryed a bass with light wave.I've seen them but there all so expensive.. maybe the standerd pickups might be more suitable.

4. Which of the Zon models are you thinking about getting? Fretted or fretless?

5. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    fretted

6. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    cool thanks :)

7. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    i've never played a Lightwave fretted either.

i'm sure you' be happy with a magnetic Sonus Custom.

Dreamy!

i have a lightwave fretless Zon...my next will also be Lightwave (system/series 2)....and Zon....different "design" (look out PD!) though.

fred

8. Tuomas

Tuomas

Mar 14, 2000
    Helsinki, Finland
    I've tried some fretted and fretless zons with lighwaves. And to make a long story short, I prefer magnetic pickups. The tone is just bigger and smoother and it gives more bottom to the band sound. The lightwave basses sounded good soloed, but with a band they just didn't function like I wanted them to. I prefer groove and thump over sonic details.

The fretless bass worked really well, though...

9. Fred - different design? Oh, please, do tell!

10. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    jeff: its a secret at the moment....shhhh

Tuomas: i get PLENTY of thump and groove out of my lightwave.

could be amp setup too.

i think players that spend a short amount of time with a lightwave tend to think its a one trick pony.

i just started with a funk/jazz/rock band and i use my lightwave fretless zon EXCLUSIVELY.

just because its a fretless, doesn't mean i have to slip-slide all over the place...i can make it sound fretted....ok, except for that damned incessant MWAH...any tips on how i can get rid of that?

my bandmates are constantly blown away by how chameleon-like the zon lw is.

we've even played around with some metal tunes...and it sits and cuts better than any other bass i've owned.

and yes, it sounds phenominal solo'd too.

i'm still discovering ways to get new tones out of it...its not all about SONIC DETAIL....sounds like you've read too many reviews.

how did you try it in a band setting? did a shop give you some loaners?

it is adjustable, tone-wise...via the electronics, and more so with varying your technique.

but hey, if you don't like it...that's the bottom line.

more for me!

:D

11. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    the question Fred as we both know is:
    who designed it?

J/K

12. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    rethink:

thump = sonic characteristic

groove = playing characteristic

f

13. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    yvon,

i was wondering if anyone would catch the AGB design reference.

just a little jab at our old friend PD.

hey, there's a tasty topic for talkbass....

"if you SPEC out a bass from a manufacturer using their list of options...or even using components they don't normally offer, did you DESIGN that bass even though the body, neck, bridge and pickups are stock?"

:rolleyes:

what forum would that be appropriate in?

f

14. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Anywhere but technique!! :D

That could be an interesthing thread, hopefuly it wont turn as bas as ABG.

Try it in Misc fred.

15. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    so magnetic pickups are the way to go ?

16. frederic b. hodshon

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    None.
    bassman:

you are the one that has to ultimately decide wich pickups are the way to go.

to get realistic opinions of the lightwave, you really should speak with OWNERS of the instrument that have used it in a variety of situations.

NOT just someone that has spent a few minutes with one in a store.

with your apparent hesitation, and need to have someone else tell you what to get...i'd play it safe and recommend a Zon Sonus Custom - with magnetics. (lightwaves are dangerous ya know!)

You haven't indicated whether you play fretless or fretted.

Either way, you won't be disappointed with a Zon.

I think there may only be 3 of us here that OWN Lightwave basses...Jeff Rader, myself, and someone else who's name i can't remember.

i swear by them. i play it from time to time as well.

like i said befo'.....my next will be another lightwave fretless.

PLUS...the support that Joe Zon and the guys at Lightwave-Systems give is extraordinary!

freddy

17. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    well I play fretted bass guitar usually but I play double bass as well. thanks F