1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bad News for Dogs.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by 48thStreetCustom, Nov 27, 2018.

1. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    PillO and BurnOut like this.
  2. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    I own Australian Cattle Dogs and they are really smart dogs. I always rotate a puppy in as one gets older, then the knowledge gets passed on to the new one.
    As for cats, I'm deathly allergic to them. My sister in law has always had about 10 minimum at a time. You walk in their house and cat piss is overwhelming. That has enforced in me to never want one. I watch the neighbors cat (at their house) on occasion, they'll be my best friend till I feed em, then I don't exist after. If I touch em I have to wash my hands, and I can feel the dander building up on my face and eyes.
    My dogs are loyal, up for any adventure. They know what I'm up to before I even do it. They are almost always happy about most everything. Can't imagine life without them.

Wanker_Joe, JimK, TOOL460002 and 2 others like this.
  3. Dogs pick up on your mood and adjust themselves. Cats only care when is dinner.

PillO, saabfender, Stinsok and 3 others like this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Some cats also care when they want attention or someone to claw the crap out of. :)

JimK and BurnOut like this.
  5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    About all I got from this is other animals are also intelligent.

I'll alert the media...

Nevermind a bottle nosed dolphin won't be comfortable in my bed (nor will I will it there).

PillO, StyleOverShow and S-Bigbottom like this.
  6. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    You can say that again

slobake likes this.
  7. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    JMarkD, JimK, bassista6 and 5 others like this.
  8. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado

9. StyleOverShow

StyleOverShow Still Playing After All These Years Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2008
    Hillsdale, Portland
    Dogs are pack animals, have to learn who eats first, and last. They’re really good at reading other animals for clues, helps them pick out lunch I suppose.

Cats not so much, lone hunters who prefer to ambush prey from hidden spot.

10. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Dogs have masters, cats have staff.

11. mikeoso

mikeoso Acoustic Curmudgeon

Feb 14, 2014
    eastern Iowa
    ...and parrots have chattel slaves. Also, by laboratory test, the intelligence of a human 5 year old.

Russell L likes this.
  12. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Well there’s this.

Dogs as intelligent as two-year-old children

Researchers have found that dogs are capable of understanding up to 250 words and gestures, can count up to five and can perform simple mathematical calculations.

Using tests originally designed to demonstrate the development of language, pre-language and basic arithmetic in human children, the researchers were able to show that the average dog is far more intelligent than they are given credit for.

They have also compiled a list of the most intelligent and least intelligent breeds using information from obedience classes. Border collies and retrievers were rated among the most intelligent while hounds and terriers were the least bright.

"The average dog is about as bright linguistically as a human two-year-old," said Professor Stanley Coren, a leading expert on canine intelligence at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver who has carried out the work.

"This means they can understand about 165 words, signs and signals. Those in the top 20 per cent were able to understand as many as 250 words and signals, which is about the same as a two and a half year old.

13. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    If your two year old is as smart as my dog, you have a baby genius on your hands.

Stewie26 and 48thStreetCustom like this.
  14. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

Researchers have also found that researchers can understand about 250 words and gestures on a construction site.
    Using tests originally designed to demonstrate the development of language, pre-language and basic arithmetic in human children the researchers were able to show that the average researcher is far more intelligent than they were given credit for. Researchers were astounded that some researchers could hang a door and/or grade a driveway.
    They have also complied a list of the most intelligent and least intelligent researchers using information from obedience classes. Physics researchers and historians were rated among the most intelligent while psychologists were the least bright.
    "The average researcher can understand a Shakespearian sonnet and level a painting in their living room." said Professor Jerry Horowitz, a leading expert on research intelligence at the University of Los Tres Chiflados.
    "This means they can change a light switch cover but they can't fish a conduit or replace a water heater." The top 20 per cent were able to use a measuring tape and snake a drain which is about the same skill level as a two month apprentice."

:D I'm joking of course, stereotyping academics is foolish as is stereotyping anyone else. I once worked for a plumbing contractor who had a masters in English Lit. He could recite Shakespearean sonnets while figuring the grade on a waste line. I could not do either one of those things, call me Rex the terrier. :bag:

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  15. capnjim

capnjim

Mar 13, 2008
    Dogs probably have the widest range of intelligence out of any animal. Some can be super smart, and some can be ridiculously dumb. My smart dog will do pretty much any trick you teach him, speak, give paw, he even does a great "play dead". But..he is smart enough only to do the trick if you have food. No food, no trick. Just that look that says we aren't fooling him.
    My dumb dog almost died in a chocolate chip cookie bag. I was curious what he would do. He was frozen for 10-15 minutes. I called him, tried to get him to move, but I think he would have starved to death.
    Guess which one is the smart one:

zeus.JPG dumbchef.

PillO, RobTheRiot and OldDog52 like this.
  16. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Yes. The intelligence of dogs is all over the map. Some are real smart, some dumb as a sack of hammers.

PillO likes this.
  17. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I don't know if I'm interpreting the article in correctly... but they say pigs, dolphins, chimpanzees and pigeons can do certain things just as good as dogs. But they don't seem to say an other animal can do all those things as well as dogs. I mean, dolphins might have the same language skills, but I've never heard of a bomb-sniffing dolphin or a seeing eye pig.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    slobake and PillO like this.
  18. Stewie26

Stewie26 Supporting Member

Yep....just like people.

19. Wanker_Joe

Wanker_Joe

Sep 26, 2017
    Wow, my dog is in no way anywhere near as smart as the dogs they are talking about. 250 words? Try like 3 words, maybe. He's a loving hound, but he has the intelligence of a well manicured lawn. He's so dumb that even my 4 year old notices his completely lack of any thought processes. But he is a very loving dog, so there's that...

20. Kids get their shoes on, general fuss, dog gets excited, trip to town is ON!
    ''Nah, you're staying home''.
    Dog sits down on front porch.

slobake likes this.