Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bad News, I Got "the Call" Tonight

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by doc540, Aug 3, 2004.

1. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Phone rang out of the blue, and it was Gatemouth.

He's on his way to M.D. Anderson Cancer Clinic in Houston tomorrow.
    Lung cancer and emphysema.

Bad situation.

They need to get his lung capacity up before they can operate, and even if they do they're not sure he can survive the surgery.

If they can't operate he says he doesn't want chemo and radiation so they give him less than a year.

But, if they can get his lung capacity up and he does survive surgery, they say his chances are good for a full recovery.

I'm hoping for the best. Told him I could give his family and manager a place to stay over here in Beaumont if they needed it. Told him I loved him, and I'd be over to the hospital to see him as soon as I could.

Yeah, I know, he's a cantankerous 'ol gunslinger, but he's been my friend for over 30 years, and I truly believe he's a legendary American minstrel, a poet, a philosopher, one of the greatest guitar players to have ever strapped on an electric guitar.

I don't think he's gotten the exposure and respect in America that he deserves although he's well respected in Europe. But I've heard him, I've seen him just blister a bandstand decade after decade, I've listened to his philosophy about life, music, and particulary the blues.

And I thank God and consider it a privilege to have heard and played his music and to be his friend.

So, I'm gonna try to be with him to the end whenever and wherever that may be.

I'm gonna focus on that through all of this.

If y'all want to write something to him, send it to my email: doc540@swbell.net, and I'll print it and take it over to the hospital.
    [​IMG]

2. Sorry to say that I've never heard of him, but I wish him good health nonetheless. MD Anderson is one of the finest medical facilities in the country, I'm sure he's being well taken care of.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Same here, best wishes and a speedy recovery.

4. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I don't know who he is either, but I wish him the best of luck.

The hospitals in Houston are some of the best in the world, he's in fantastic hands.

(BTW Doc, I believe we've met. I'm Kenny's son.)

5. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Hell, yes; I know who he is.

That sucks, and I wish him well.

6. another hell yes - I know who he is.

just let him know there are folks that really appreciate his music and want him to get well so he can get back on stage and burn it up again. there are very few like him anymore.

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Wow, that's cool to hear that your friends with Gatemouth Brown but I'm very sorry to hear the news.

brad cook

8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Yes of course.

There is only one Gatemouth.

My sincerest wishes for a good outcome.
    Many thanks for the fine memories...

I will say a prayer in my pagan but good heart for him.

Peace

Thor

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Damn man....we used to give Gate rides.

I lived in Slidell, LA, and so did Gate, he walked nearly everywhere, and when my friends and I would see him, we'd always offer a ride to him. Sometimes he'd even accept it, if the weather was real bad.

Seems the week for it, my mom just had 15% of her right lung removed, lung cancer. They're sounding pretty positive for her, hopefully Gate will get the same news.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wow,

best wishes to GM... aint no one can play both the guit and the violin like he can! :bassist:

btw, if you dont mind, i posted the news up on the Gear Page.

11. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Hmm, I know who he is know.

Get well man.

12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Cancer is bad. I dont like it... I've already lost a few relatives to it... damn cigarettes...

I hope it turns out all good and he will recover.
    I wish him good luck

13. Argh, d00d, too bad. Give him my best wishes too. :(

14. It's funny that most of us have probably heard a Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown tune, I know the name, I know he's a blues legend but unfortunately that's all I know.

I wish him the best of luck in surgery and a quick recovery.

BTW Doc, nice pic of you and Robb on TFF!~

15. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Sorry to hear the news. I saw him play a few years ago and one of my friends sometimes is his touring FOH man. Sad news.

16. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    doc - you wouldn't happen to know a guitarist named Luther Womble, would you? He toured with Gatemouth Brown pretty extensively in the 80s, I believe. He's a good friend of my dad's. Here's to hoping the best!

17. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree. He is in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery!

18. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    SoCom, seems like I remember that name, but I don't recall him. Do you have a picture of him?

I booked Gate into my clubs a couple of times in the 80's and saw him every chance I got, but I must need something to jog my memory. Sorry.

19. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That's a damn shame! I'd guess he's about 80 now ???

I love his version of "Dixie Chicken"!!!

He's gotta make it........he's too tricky for the Lord and too damn wicked for the Devil!

20. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

what he said !!
    i've often heard of the man , but never seen his live show .
    { i've seen him on video , and it's all true . very talented and soulful ...}
    best of luck to Mr.Brown and his family ... my prayers are with him . :cool: