Bad News

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by quatre03, Oct 12, 2004.

1. quatre03

Aug 20, 2004

:crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Bearing in mind that Bill has only said that they are "considering" discontinuing the intruments, it may be worth someone who has an ongoing relationship with Bill (ie JT / Mark Beem) to let Bill know about this thread as he may want to provide a more concrete statement or quash any rumours. Something like this may not be good for business if its just a rumour / thought at this stage.
  3. quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    I dont mean to do anything that may be bad for Bill Conklin and his business, i personaly own a conklin, and i love them, i plan on buying more in the future. I just know a lot of ppl who want the GT-7 who cant commit to 3000+ for a 7 string. i've just heard these rumors from more than once source, and to even think that its even a posibility is dissappointing. I do understand the rareity of Bartolini their in high demand cause everyone knows they are the best, and to get mass quantities of 7 string pickus must be even more rare.

I play on buying a GTBD-7 before the end of the year, but like i said i know many ppl who want these groove tools.
  4. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I didnt mean to imply that you were doing anything overtly wrong...just that Bill might want to know that his comments have been made "available" in a public forum and have a chance to respond to questions etc.

In all likelyhood, this rumour might be good for business as it could cause a rush on the GT7's!
  5. So the GT-7s are continuing???? YAY!!!!!!!!!
  6. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Guys - This morning, after being mostly Conklin-free for a couple months, eBay is brimming with them! 14 conklins listed in the last 4-5 days! including 2 GTBDs and a GT7 fretless!

(I had setup a favorite search for "Conklin" for eBay to email me when new items came up, before I took the plunge on a brand new GTBD, which I also had concerns about from what Bill said about the electronics issue [but mine was ordered early enough that it's already finished and in transit, apparently] )
  7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    AFAIK Bill's not discontinuing the line... However, he (and others I have learned) has been having problems with Bartolini.... I'll email him and let him know of this thread.. Don't know if he'll be able to comment here or not. I talked to him yesterday about strings and he said they were still swamped.
  8. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I emailed him and let him know about this thread.. Maybe he can pop in and clarify some things.
  9. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Yeah. What's up with that? I've heard of people waiting 6-12 months (sometimes more) for a set of Bartolini pickups. Given, a lot of them are custom, how hard should it be to get a production model pickup (like what's in the GT-7)?
  10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    No kidding. Try ordering a set of Bartolini pickups and prepare to wait months to receive them. My custom bass from a different luthier was completed last spring, but it literally took 3 months to receive the pickups. I have another custom on order now and we have chosen to go with Nordstrand pickups instead.

I'm not sure what Bartolini's issue is, but if they consistently take this long to fill orders they will lose business.
  11. quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    so did we ever get a definate answer from bill, if he does stop making them do we have a specific date because there is a back order on them till January, and if he'd not going to discontinue them what is he going to do with the Pickups.
  12. Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars

That's why we at Knooren handcrafted quit using them. EMG and Häussel pickups are now used as stock pickups in our basses.
  13. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    3 months is extraordinarily fast turnaround on Barts. My Hanewinckel Signature 7 took over a year. Yes, 12+ months. Pete had the bass built and finished within 3 months. Then we waited. And waited. And...
  14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

There was a thread a while back about the fact that Mrs. Bartolini was having some bad health problems, and that basically Bill was shut down, at least temporarily.
  15. i thought it was going to be something a bit more major than musicman was going to be discontiued or something..has anyone heard that Ernie Ball has been bought out?
  16. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    Why are you considering this a rumour? The above e-mail came from Bill himself so it is not a rumour, it is a fact that Bill is thinking about dicontinuing the line although it sounds as if he is not sure yet.
  17. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I'm not interested in the Conklin GT basses, but I believe such a decision would be a big mistake.

GT's are high-quality basses, and the GT7 is obviously the best bang for the buck for anyone who wants a 7er.

18. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I think this is the telling point in Bill's response. If their contract with Mr. Dickens has run out, they can no longer offer the BD sig. model. Not that they can't continue to produce a VERY similar model (Neck-Thru 7 String w/better electronics), but it wouldn't be the GTBD line.
  19. I've always imagined the GT line was good for business because it allowed people to try a 7 without spending a fortune on a custom guitar. If they liked it, Conklin would probably be the first custom shop builder they look at. It seems like the BD model has been pretty scarce for awhile now, there for 3 or 4 months there were literally none on ebay.

Anyone know why the Rocco GT model never really took off? I don't think I've ever seen it for sale anywhere.
  20. quatre03

Aug 20, 2004
    I know conklin has started making their own pickups becaue the Bartolini's have been backed up. I just dont want to see the line die, because i think they are great basses, and i think they have helped both conklin and ERBs in general.

But anyways i just ordered my GTBD-7 today, so im set. :D