Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bad pain in right hand index finger

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Apr 4, 2002.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I just got my bass back after a week of not playing it because it was away being fixed and set-up. I took it home and played a few old songs, and then learnt a few new ones. Half way through a song, I got a bad, blunt pain in my entire index finger. I thought "ouch, ah well I'll survive". So I kept on playing. Then about, 2 minutes later, it came back. So sat down and didnt move it for about 5 mins, then went back.

Now, a day later, it REALLY hurts. It feels very warm compared to all my other fingers, and the pain is in all 3 joints, and I dont want to play today in fear that it may get worse. I dont think its my technique, because a teacher I know says I have nothing wrong with my technique in my right hand. I have no idea what happened, but can anyone PLEASE tell me what I've done and how to fix it? :(
    thanks

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    ........Anyone.........?

3. qsoxy

qsoxy

May 4, 2001
    hey man,
    be real careful, as I'm sure you are. One morning last September I was playing and my whole right arm went numb. I didnt think much of it, kept playing the next day. The next night my hand and wrist solidified. I literally could not move my wrist or fingers, and it was swollen to twice its size, a freaking monster hand. It was totally useless for weeks, then slowly I could move my fingers better and gained strength, but extremely slowly and right now I still use my hand sparingly. I can play with a thin pick, wearing a wrist brace, slowly and for ~1 hour. I play any more or any harder and my hand swells/hurts. Its getting better and better, but it wont be 100% for maybe another 6 months, I'm guessing, (and then maybe I can resume using my fingers--slowly) and I'll have to take it esasy for the rest of my life. Tendonitis, the doctor said. I've gone through a couple doctors and an acupuncturist, and acupuncture was the best. So, sounds like you dont have quite the same problem but good luck to you and rest the hand, also do finger excercises for finger/wrist flexibility.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    See a doctor!