1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bad pot...or not?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MistaMarko, Apr 24, 2006.

1. MistaMarko

MistaMarko

Feb 3, 2006
    USA
    I have a 2005 Cirrus BXP-5, that I received this past November. I'm the guy if anyone remembers had the low battery life that ran out super fast, but anyway, when I got my bass, I noticed the 5th knob, or the blend knob, crackled when I turned it while playing. As time progressed on, month after month, I noticed it crackled more, louder, and then it began like making my sound become SUPER QUIET...and then all I would have to do is rotate the knob just a tad and it would pop and then the normal volume would come out. Then soon later, I could strike a string, and rotate it, and the volume would go LOUD soft LOUDDD soft LOUD as I slowly turned the knob clockwise. And as of now, I think sometimes it makes the bass have no volume, and then when I turn it then the volume suddenly kicks in. What the heck is this problem? Cirrus sent me a new pot, but I just havent gotten around to replace it. Is this what the problem is? Anyone know/had this problem before?

2. Baa

Baa Happy hobbyplayer

Jan 10, 2006
    stockholm, sweden
    Definitly sounds like the pot is the problem.
    Haven´t had that problem on a bass, but with pots in other electrical circuits.

3. Thunder Lizard

Thunder Lizard

Dec 7, 2005
    Lethbridge, AB
    Canadian Distributor, Basson Sound Equipment
    Definitely sounds like dirt in the pot..... sometimes, just a little contact cleaner (the kind WITHOUT silicone in it) and work the thing from stop to stop about a hundred *yes, a hundred* times, and it might be OK.

4. subharmonic

subharmonic

Jun 3, 2006
    My son's December 2005 MIA Cirrus 5-string has the same problem with the blend control pot. It's at the local Peavey dealer as I write this post. The problem began exactly as you described but progressed until there was no output. First trip to the shop they checked the solder joints and cleaned the volume pot; thought they had fixed it, but it came right back. Now they're saying they'll have to replace the electronics. I'll keep you posted.