Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bad practice...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by west*coast*bass, Jan 26, 2006.

1. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I have a feeling this might be moved to off topic, but since it is completely on topic, it just might stay here...

Anyway, I usually sit down and practice for at least an hour a night once my wife goes to sleep. I can practice with the headphones on and get my time in. Well tonight was the same routine except tonight I really sucked...has this ever happened to any of you?

I have been playing for a long time and even my old stuff was not working. Now I know enough to chalk this up to one bad night, but I wonder what the rest of you think or feel when the stuff in your head is not making it to your fingers.

I look forward to reading your responses.

Best to all,

Mark

2. I do the same thing with headphones every night, when the rest of my family is asleep. Some nights, for no reason, I will be playing better than I ever have before, and others, are just bad nights. Unless there is something obviously causing this (not warmed up enough, hurt finger/wrist, bass malfunction), I have not a clue, but it does happen to me. I just put the bass down and either pick it up later, or the next day. I think it is the attitude you have at the time, how you feel, if you're preoccupied or not...in other words its all mental for me. But chances are the next night I'll be rockin' again, it never lasts long :D .

3. Tom P

Tom P

Aug 19, 2004
    My routine as well. Tired, long draining day? I notice a big difference in dexterity and creativity when I practice in the morning or on weekends.

4. I'm not sure you could get more off topic than this. You don't even mention the bass you're playing:smug:

5. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    For me it depends on my mood sometimes im kinda depressed and it makes me think everythings wrong some other im on a hype and **** licks and grooves make me think im the best bass player.

Another thing is how tired my hand muscles are because i sometimes feel pain in that muscle located between my index and my thumb (in my left hand) and that makes my clamp strenght to decrease forcing me to apply (is this a false friend???) more pressure with the fingertips decreasing my fretting speed.

6. basste

basste

Oct 8, 2003
    France
    same thing for me. Same routine all evenings. Sometimes i play Baaaadly. So i feel frustrated, it makes me nervous. It took time to understand it, but now, when i feel i'm on a bad night, i let my bass on the stand, and take a book. :D

7. Indiana Mike

Indiana Mike

Nov 18, 2005
    I have great days and off days.I have posed this ? to a lot of people and most agree, Even the ones considered to be great have agreed to this.

8. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    If i've been playing daily for awhile, I notice getting frustrated at some of the things I'm doing. I then take two days off (as hard as that is) and when I return, I feel fresh again. Weird.

9. GSRLessard14

GSRLessard14 All-Things-Claypool Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2005
    Newington, CT
    me too.

10. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    It happens to me once in a while and like you I'm not quite sure why. I practice very early in the morning and I'm usually looking forward to it. Starts my day right ya know. It's a hard one to figure. I wonder if it happens to full time pro players?

11. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Sounds like you just didn't have the mental energy to put into it.

12. ayton

ayton

Jan 26, 2006
    yea, sometimes when I sit down to play i'm out of inspiration, so I just practice techniques instead =(

13. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Yea, this is gonna happen, can't be helped.

It made a big difference to me when I realised that a huge percentage of any good performance (practice or live) was mental. Daily hassles and stress and all kinds of little demons can be in your brain waiting to do some damage to your playing or any other part of your life.

I try to warm up the same way everytime I play. Simple things scales.. it doesn't make a difference. What is important is the repitition of the warm gets my MIND warmed up far more than my hands and fingers.

At least it helps some of the time. Other times, it best just to put down the bass and do something else.

14. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    Norway
    I have the same thing, sometimes for a week or more. Usually it`s because I`m unfocused or my mood isn`t settled for it. I dislike playing concerts in those weeks... It`s like having a period....:bag:

15. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Well I dont practice as much as I should for sure. But I have real bad days on occasion, and oddly, really good days, where I seem to amaze myself. I wont practice for a week or more, pick up the bass, and just start going at it like I been playing everyday. Its kinda odd when it happens, but the great days are more rare than the bad days I suppose. I havent been playing for all that long overall though, only a few years.

16. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    wow, this is kinda timely, I have been feeling a little under the weather lately, not sick but just not at 100%. I noticed that when I try to practice I just can't do what I was doing a couple days ago... I was playing sixtenth exercises at upto 130bpm (an all time high for me) and no I am pushing it at 100. As a result my drive to practice has been somewhat diminished. I need to really try to get some good practice in today cause I have my lesson tomorrow...

17. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Yeah, happens to everybody. It happens to me pretty often. You just suck sometimes...

18. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Another factor for me is if my hands are cold.

If I wash them for about 2-3 minutes in warm water, it sometimes goes away and I can play well again.

Then again, sometimes I just can't get it together . . .

19. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    With ANYTHING I do - work, gym, bass, driving, eating, there are good days and bad days, and most of the extreme examples of either will come with no rhyme nor reason. Your brain and body will on occassion just call 'time out' with no obvious reason. The best I can do is just put it behind me, maybe take a day or two off, then jump back in.

20. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    To err is human. To always play flawlessly is divine.

Anyway, I remember hearing somewhere that if you mess up, play like you meant it. Even if it is to yourself. You'll get into that habit, and more than likely when you do it when you play out, the fanboys won't notice.

It happens to all of us. Some nights I cramp up on my left hand (because I forgot to stretch! DUHH!!), or I'm all thumbs. It happens. Just be happy that we can still play another day.