1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bad product names

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bearhart74, Mar 24, 2020.

1. bearhart74

bearhart74

Feb 26, 2009
  2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
  3. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Why? See, there in lies a problem with naming things. I don't know why Zingyou seems bad to you. Something that can seem completely innocent and fine in most of the world may be terrible in certain country/region.

- John

Jazz Ad, gebass6 and lizardking837 like this.
  4. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Simple! market research should include the meaning of the name in any area you intend to market in.

Cutter8, Taustin Powers and osonu like this.
  5. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    Anything by Friedman amps.

Also "Zingyou" sounds like "zing you", or to deliver an electric shock to you. On-stage electrocution sucks, if you've ever experienced it. Note: Singers get zapped in the mouth.

6. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    I would put several of the Way Huge pedals in this category.

- John

7. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    I am pretty sure that was the point of the OP.

8. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
  9. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    Yes, but a lot of non-native English speakers wouldn't understand the colloquialism. This is an international forum, as JKos pointed out.

matt-o-, juggahnaught and thewildest like this.
  10. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    The Chevy Nova automobile was never a big seller with the Spanish speaking nations, as the translation there means not going :D

Squittolo, meteor, JRA and 25 others like this.
  11. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None
    images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQEwYnjlKPtjN3hoE2FVrIRpvXYd8o_w-ye_2r7bl07Wyt17y92.jpg

I thought that is what you get from dancing all hot and sweaty in those polyester pants.... LOL

Squittolo, JRA, funkinbottom and 7 others like this.
  12. Dincrest

Dincrest Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Hydrox cookies.

Anyone remember those?

I am aware of their history; that Hydrox was the originator and Oreo was the Johnny-come-lately that made it huge. But, man, Hydrox really is a terrible name for a cookie. It sounds like a bleach cleaner. So unappetizing. Perhaps if Hydrox had a better name, it would have been the "it" cookie instead of Oreo.

13. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

That didn’t take long; the product was in existence long before the disease was recognized or named.

14. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Even if most people don't know that, I think any marginally inquisitive mind can figure that out based on the image.

TN WOODMAN, EddiePlaysBass and 2tonic like this.
  15. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    That's a myth. "No va" doesn't work like that. It would be more like "If you don't go to work, you can't pay your bills." Even in that case it would be "no vas". Now if Chevy made a car called the Rota, there'd be a problem.

Squittolo, McFarlin, Jim Carr and 5 others like this.
  16. Here, the laughing stock of the automobile world is the Audi E-Tron : In french, the word "Étron" litterally means "turd".

17. Alivefor5

Alivefor5 Supporting Member

Jul 17, 2006
    Indiana
    Corona beer. Nuff said.

18. diegom

diegom Supporting Member

I always plug a Way Huge SP fuzz into the BE-modded input of my Friedman BB amp!
    (Sorry, if I spell it out, I'll get banned for life!)

2tonic and mikewalker like this.
  19. bearhart74

bearhart74

Feb 26, 2009
    I said bad product name not bad product.. : ) However Corona qualifies for both titles

20. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    This morning on my Facebook feed was a sponsored post for Rubber Sheets supplies. Apparently it's roofing products, but that was not the first image that came to mind when seeing it. And I'm not even into that sort of thing.

Squittolo, Axstar, L Anthony and 3 others like this.