Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bad Registry?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by merlin, Oct 5, 2003.

1. Okay my computer is driving me up the wall.

Every time i reboot or boot up, i get an error message:

'Windows Encountered and Error accessing the registry and needs to restart'

So i hit okay and it backs up a okay registry.

I had this problem recently and reformatted the machine, but its still doing it!

It annoys me because i went to install say Photoshop 7 (today) and thats fine, but if i reboot the machine i get the message, it loads a clean registry and My recently installed programs wont work because the registry is 'old'.

What to do?

Merls

2. If you reformatted the machine... then I'd begin to wonder if it's a hardware problem - perhaps your hard drive has a few bad sectors? Try running a "thorough" ScanDisk (with "automatically fix errors" UNchecked!) and see what that comes up with.

--jeff

3. It better not be.. this machine is only 6 months old.

Merls

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oh yeah? For some reason my computer will not log on to the internet. We have DSL so logging on shouldnt be an issue. But to no avail, two little computers with "x"s over them sit in the task bar. And what do they say when you click on them, that a cable is unplugged or loose. NO SIR! The box is on, the cables are plugged in. Then...two days later it friggin working again. Give it one more day and it isnt. Now it is...for the time being. If anyone has the slightest idea what the hell is wrong let me know.

Sorry...Im a bit steamed about it...:D

5. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Merlin: I would agree with OS on this one. If you have completely re-installed your operating system then that really only leaves a hardware issue although it sounds unlikely from the sypmtoms. You did re-format the hard drive and install from scratch, yeah?<BR><BR>Old_Skool: Sounds like a dodgy cable to me. Have you swapped it our for another one?

6. Could be the harddrive, could me malware.

Did you scanned for virii and spyware?

if not try LavaSoft Ad-aware and a good online virus scanner.

And check the hdd with chkdsk (assuming you run w2k or XP)

7. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yup, swithed the cable same problem.

8. What version of Windows are you running, Merls?

9. Default in the OS disk that is not letting it fully complete the registry upon installation?

10. Im running Windows 98 SE.

I did a online scan at www.trend.com

I have adaware but that didnt really solve anything.

I went to defrag the system and it stops every 3 or 4 minutes or so and the message at the bottom says "contents of drive c changed, restarting" Then it defrags all over again.

I then shut everything down. And it still wouldnt defrag.

If i go into System Tools and go to System Checker... then i go to Registry Checker and it says "located bad registry, need to restart". So i can make it do the error at anytime.

Hmmm.

Merls

11. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    Does it throw this error immediately after you have performed a clean re-install? I mean: immediately after you do a fresh install, before you install anything, can you make this error occur?

12. Dont know. Id have to wipe my machine and try it......

:D:D

Merls

13. unharmed

unharmed Iron Fishes

May 19, 2003
    London, England
    <BR><BR>And?<BR><BR><BR> :D

14. Crikey! hehe i might just deal with it for a bit then wipe it later on. My brother got pissed at me last time for wiping it. Idiot.

Merls

15. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Is the computer actually booting to the OS?

I ask because I'm getting a similar error on my win 98 machine - the machine boots up the BIOS, but when windows starts up, I get the blue DOS screen that says the OS is scanning the registry (referencing c:\windows\system.dat) but hangs the job at 0%. At one point, I let it run for a couple of hours, but it was still hung.

I tried the emergency repair boot disk that I made and changing the BIOS to boot from the floppy drive but it never makes it to the boot stage.

I figure that I was hit by some sort of virus and I'll have to start over and reformat the disk. Good thing that none of my data on this machine was mission critical.

DD

16. I often boot up and just before i get to the Desktop screen i get the blue screen of death.

Bloody Computers!

Merls