Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bad Sci-Fi

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I've noticed that sci-fi seems fairly popular with this crowd. I am not a fan of most sci fi, but I have a spouse who is so I've seen my share of what I consider really bad science fiction. She'll watch anything that they put on the sci fi channel. Even my good buddy who is also really into sci fi admits that a lot of the stuff my wife watches is crap and that is why I'm bitter to the genre, she shows me the worst of it. So - I'm wondering what the worst sci fi programs / movies are an how many of them I've seen.

My votes for worst pieces of crap:

Star Gate - from the original made for tv movie, to the SG1 series to the new SG Atlantis - all crap (and SG1 seems successful with a very long run and now a spin-off - I think people are watching this! Why?)

Sliders - I don't have enough words to express how much that one sucked.

and the all time piece of garbage:

Red Dwarf - *** was this about and who could have possibly liked it

Honorable crap mention to Star Trek Deep Space Nine.

Please add to the sci fi crap list, I'm curious how much of the worst I've seen.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    you thought red dwarf was sci-fi? :p

Space != sci-fi

3. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

"Vampire Men of the Lost Planet". Exhaust from the rocket floats up in outer space!

I'm still a fan of the "original" "Star Trek".

4. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    red dwarf was AWESOME... and it's not Sci-fi... its a parody on sci-fi... i dono its cheesy but i did like it:p

smug

whats wrong with sg1 and sga btw?

5. P. Aaron

It's always on when I switch to the SCI-FI- channel. I'm askin' myself, "They don't have anything else they can run?"

6. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

Thats true.. they do run it way too much... it be 10x better if it was on only once a week...

7. Kavorka

Kavorka

Mar 28, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I enjoy the new SGA so far. But, I'm a sci-fi fan!

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Actually, while it started as a poor mans Quantum Leap in the early seasons, the later seasons actually became quite involved and surprisingly good. It became a very complex "define reality" thing. Pretty good. The last bit makes the first bit doable.

9. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    No idea, I hate this show as well.

I will admit that this is probably my all time favorite non animated show.
    What is not to understand: a Chicken soup machine repairman, a pain in the ass hologram, a highly evolved cat and a obsessive compulsive robot trapped three million light years away in a spaceship with a bad short term memory. [A] You have to like British humor Fried egg and curry sandwiches are good [C] I’m not telling.

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Definitely, but then after it hit it's prime, all the actors had spats with the producers and eachother, resulting in cast changing both on screen and off, and general suckage all around.

11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

So you'd prefer they go back to showing "Killer Clowns from Outer Space" and the new "Outer Limits" :p

I used to love Sci-fi and the sci-fi channel, was a huge Star wars geek and a bit of a closet Star Trek:NG fan for a bit. I've since fallen out of it (I estimate my falling out to around the time the Sci-Fi channel stopped showing MST3K). Most american made sci-fi series are crap, and the Sci-Fi original movies are unsalvagable messes (most have shoe-string budgets and devote most of the money to special effects; as a result you'll see painted toy guns and etch-a-sketches disguised to look high-tech)

Sci-Fi is like any other film or literature genre: there's crap and there's the good stuff, and the crap often greatly outweighs the amount of good stuff. I think what you need is a hearty dosage of the good stuff (if you're inclined). Books like the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov and the Hyperion series by Dan Simmons are both good examples of good genre work, and good writing in general. Also, Blade Runner and Minority Report. And the Babylon 5 series (I don't know if Sci-Fi is running reruns of this....but they should) is supposed to be quite good, I've only seen a few episodes but I enjoyed it. Sort of combining the politics and intrigue of Star Trek in a much more treacherous environment.

12. The Attack of the Killer Spleen!

13. I have a love-hate relationship with Stargate SG1- I love Amanda Tapping, hate the rest of the cast, but some of the storylines are good, but really just rip offs of problems already faced on Star Trek TNG, which in themselves are ripoffs.

When all else fails, emit a phased tacheon ray at the anomaly. :smug:

I like Farscape tho, a good cinematic quality series.

Sorta like every sitcom has an episode where one of the kids starts a band, and all us musicians get pissed watching it because the kids are all acting like they're rocking out, on really pricey gear, and making dippy smiles at each other, and there's always a cute chick on keyboards, and a dink on guitar, playing trite saved by the bell theme song type music, and playing that big gig at the Peach Pit where an industry guy just happens to be scouting, and they either get a big break like Uncle Jesse on Full House, or they get a "better luck next time kids" speech wherein the star kid gets dejected, but learns an important life lesson... and there's never another episode that the kid is even remotely musical...hmm. nice whim.

Ok, maybe not exactly, but I really hate that too. :smug:

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

That's right - people have been saying that "Fantasy" can't be taken as seriously as "real" literature ....

So how about Shakespeare's plays - often cited as the greatest English writer of all time - but what is "The Tempest" , but pure fantasy - magic,spirits, alchemy,monsters etc. It was the Sci Fi movie of its time!! ;)

And "Midsummer Night's Dream" - is all about Fairies in an alternate universe!!

15. While it was really great that Sci-Fi picked up MST3K, it was never the same after leaving Comedy Central. I'm not just being all 'I was watching it before it was cool' or anything, it's just that they were limited with what movies they could 'do.' While there's a load of rotten sci-fi movies to make fun of, where would we be with out "Manos: The Hands Of Fate"?

Of course cast changes probably made a bit of a difference.

First season MST3K is out on DVD! :hyper:

16. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    The original movie ROCKED, but they've ruined it!

I friggen HATE this dumba$$ series... I want it removed, & then all sources of its existence destroyed.

17. P. Aaron

All I'm saying is that "Star-Gate" seems to be on whenever I flash by. I like some Sci-Fi. But overall, TV sci-Fi seems to suffer from marginalization amongst those that throw production dollars around.
    Maybe that's all the Sci-Fi channel needs to keep the lights on there. There's no end of drama on TV. It's just that Sci-FI drama suffers from a lack of investment in productions that can reel in the casual veiwer.

18. Perfect example of a bad "sci-fi original": that Dean Cain movie where he hunts a dragon in an underground laboratory...

"dragon hunter" or something more obvios was the title...

replete with cliche's:

smart mouthed hero

evil, save the monster, all else is expendable scientist

super hot lab-assistant

troublesome slob who is a self-centered brainiac, who is the sole posessor of info the rest need to survive

And some of the worst CGI ever. You know, the kind that makes 40's-era stop-motion look smooth and lifelike by comparo???

So bad. Cliche lines and all that. Predictable deaths, more predictable ending (duplicate, secret lab running same experiment: that creature lives! gasp!

dumb.

19. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Yea, many of the Sci-Fi produced TV movies are schlock. The CGI is always decent but the script? Painful.

At least they're going to resurrect BattleStar Galactica, based on the movie they put out last year. Much darker and waaay less campy than the original TV show that Larson put out in the 70's. I'm hoping it's halfway decent.

Compared to what Sci-Fi was offering a couple years ago (Lexx, anyone?) they seem to be at least trying. I don't know if Tripping the Rift will be renewed, but I've been a fan of those characters since the original internet-only film was released years ago.

I don't know whether to hold out hope for EarthSea or not.