Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bad Service at Bass NW?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by flea-bass, Aug 7, 2005.

1. flea-bass

flea-bass

Jan 30, 2004
    I recently bought a Dingwall 6 string at Bass NW. When I tried it there was a switch that wasnt working properly. They said that I could get it fixed when i got home.( I travelled a fair distance to get there). When I got home the guy at my local dealer said that it was really bad service. What do you guys think?

2. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    That seems a little messed up. Unless they told you that something was broken on it before hand, they misrepresented the bass. That is shady and a bad show on thier part. But even the best places for customer service slip up sometime. I'm still waiting on info from basscentral that i e-mailed them about THREE times months ago...so i just said forget it and bought it somewhere else. No one is immaculate...

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Maybe you caught someone on a bad day, otherwise there's just the occasional fluke. No-one is perfect.

4. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Let me see if I understand. You went to BassNW, tried the bass and noticed a switch was not working? Right so far? You didn't mention if they cut you a deal because of the switch. Did you ask them to fix the switch before the purchase? Do you feel they misrepresented themselves or the bass in any way?

There's a lot you haven't told us yet.

Who is your local dealer? Is it possible they're sour because you didn't buy a bass from them?

Personally, I've been dealing with Evan and Chad since before there was a BassNW and never had a bad experience.

5. phogchris

phogchris www.scarsoflife.com

May 27, 2000
    Boca Raton, FL
    Well, I once bought an SWR Bass 750 from BassNW and when I recieved it, it didn't work. I called them immediately...they said, call UPS, it worked when it left here. That's not good service at all. SWR eventually paid for all repairs, but that was at least one bad experience I had with those guys....they could have helped me in some way.

6. LizzyD

LizzyD Chocoholic

Oct 15, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Sadowsky Artist
    I don't think Bass NW actually does that type of repair. A few years ago a friend of mine brought in a bass for them to set up, and it needed a faulty jack replaced. They said they were unable to do it, and sent him down the street to another shop for the work.

A few weeks ago my husband and I went in to find a bass for a friend who wanted something really inexpensive. Found one for $200, and Chad treated us as though we were spending $2000. He set it up with new strings, and even held it for a day for us to pick up after it was ready. I don't think there is a problem with their service, and I've dealt with all the guys there multiple times.

7. Got pics?

8. flea-bass

flea-bass

Jan 30, 2004
    I did not get a deal and they knew about it. The local dealer just mentioned that for that much money they should have fixed it. I have no hard feelings towards them and this isnt ment to be inflamatory I was just wondering what your opinions were on this.

Here is my bass

Attached Files:

9. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia

Did they even attempt to walk you through any troubleshooting? :confused:

I agree with your dealer flea-bass. The bass is AMAZING looking though...looks like it was worth the hassle :smug: Then again, it really bothers me that they didn't OFFER you a discount when it was found that the bass was defective. Theres no way you should pay full price for a bass that doesn't fully work... :scowl: Makes me weary of dealing with them over the internet :ninja:

10. It's a great shop and usually the guys there look after everyone really well.

I think if you don't feel good about how you were treated, then they failed. If the bass was represented as having a faulty part and you agreed to have it looked after once you returned home, then that's fair. If you found the defect, then you either could have passed on the bass, asked for a discount, or requested it be repaired and it could be shipped to you. Without all the fine print, it's hard to determine where you stand. However, service is what these shops want you to believe sets them apart from other instrument sellers.

The only questionable experience I have had there, is buying a new Ashdown 500 Evo II RC and wanting to also purchase the Ashdown foot controller. They wanted full retail for it ($60), so I passed on the foot controller and bought it for half that amount from a web music company. I couldn't figure that one out after dropping a cool grand at their store. :ninja:

11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    At that point, I think further communication was key. I personally would have told them I'd buy it, IF they fixed it first. No doubt your travel distance influenced that you wanted it right away and couldn't come back. You also could have had them fix it, then ship it to you, all paid for, and had everything in writing. OR, I'd negotiate for them to take some $$$ of the purchase price to cover the cost of a repair closer to my home.

I don't think its bad service, but it definitely isn't the best of service UNLESS there was a communication understanding. I think any reputable dealer would have any faulty switch fixed before selling it, IF they were aware of it while on the sales floor. That's what sets places like Bass Central and supposedly BassNW apart from GuitarCenter and Sam Ask.

12. EVERYONE I have dealt with at Bassnw(particularly Aaron)has gone out of their way to help me. As I just stated on another thread, I've bought 3 basses from them(& had them shipped to Cali- no problems)& sold 3(still workin' on #4- any body looking for a fretless 5? ;) ). I am, at the moment waiting on an Eden CXC-110 combo & CX-110 cab, on which they MERCILESSLY beat Zzounds.com's 'sale' price. Just my experience.

13. You still didnt mention if you asked them to fix it before you left the store.
    Even if you did, it must not have been that big of an issue for you because you still walked out with the bass! You shouldnt buy flawed gear, and if you do, you shouldnt complain about it afterwards. You KNEW it had issues. No one to blame but yourself on this one.
    I live in Seattle, I am there at BASS NW every couple weeks. Bought, sold, consignment, trade, and repairs...I have NEVER had a bad experience with ANY of the staff. They have ALWAYS made sure I left satisfied.

[​IMG]

14. quote: "They have ALWAYS made sure I left satisfied."

Yes, but did this buyer leave satisfied? Hmmmm....

15. Im dissapointed in BassNW. They don't accept Paypal and they wanted me to send my creditcard information through email :rolleyes:

16. Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    Doesn't it seem stupid that he should have to ask to get the bass fixed? I mean it's broken... :confused:

And i don't see any complaints on his part... :confused:

17. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    it's a legitamate shop.. you could call the credit card info in if you're worried about the safety...

I've had good experiences there, great guys. Equally friendly when I was playing a $2k Warwick and a $200 fender P copy. No pressure... cool selection...

18. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I've sold gear on consignment, browsed and not bought anything, called with stupid questions, even went in to buy a Jazz bass and looked noticeably bummed out when the bass I saw on the web site was already gone (earlier that day) - they tried to suggest alternatives that I might be interested in, but they certainly didn't push me towards anything they had on the floor. I left empty handed and they wished my luck in my search for a Jazz that was right for me. Now that I think about it, they have yet to get a single dime of mine, yet they have always treated me right.
    This situation sounds like a tough one - a guy comes in from far away and really wants a particular bass, but there is a small problem with the bass. It sounds like they were trying to make a happy customer (in that the customer wanted to walk out of there with that bass - which I'm sure he did, because… well… he did) So, the question is - were you happy at the time you left the store?

19. But isn't it dangerous to just pass out credit card information through email? There are secure forms for that kind of information, like bass central has.

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Never pay sticker price, and if the item isnt working properly then you definetly have a good way of talking the price down.

Its your own fault for not asking for a lower price IMO, but that was bad salesmanship on their part.