Bad shows

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Matthew West, Jan 30, 2001.

1. So my band had a bad show Saturday. A combination of lifeless audience (we were the first band and it was only 10:15), illness, lack of sleep and no vocal monitors led to a lackluster performance. Not to say that we played poorly, but we were nowhere as into it as we were the night before, which positively rocked.

Does anyone else feel dejected for the next few days? I know it's just one show, but it can't help but shake your confidence in your songs and abilities. My fiancee said that we didn't sound bad, but were obviously not enjoying ourselves.

I guess all there is to do is go back to the shed, write some more songs, and hope the next one is better.

Maybe we didn't drink enough beer first...
  2. Tim_Tool

Apr 29, 2000
    Cleveland Ohio
    Trust me. Beer is not the answer. Before out last show, our drummer downed 13. We didnt do that bad, taking that into consideration. Anyway, our first show was horrible. The band we opened for was lazy, and we ended up having to pick up all of their equipment for them. Then we began the trip, which should have taken only 30-45 minutes to New Castle, PA, but the weather was horrible and it took almost an hour and a half. The place was called The Attic, and we thought it was just gonna be some chessy bar. Turns out, it was really some ladys attic. We had to carry half stacks, huge p.a. speakers and the such up about 30 stairs to an UNHEATED attic. The place was so dirty i was scared to put my cherished bass cab on the ground! Well, 11:30 rolled around, and there were about 20 people there. We started playing, and everyone was so cold we could barely play the songs. I split my finger open playin a song, so it was pretty bad.
    To answer your question, we didnt really let it get to us, but it did bother me for a while. But then i started thinking about it and i realized that most bands go through shows like that. Its when it happens all the time that its a problem.
  3. Negative_Zero

Jan 8, 2001

Man i hear ya!!! my band played a show about 3 weeks ago and we played 3rd, we traveled to a town about 30 minutes away! the 2nd set was a hometown band and before their last song the lead singer announced a party! oh my god after that song everyone got up and left!
    so we ended up playing bad, and in front of about 50 people instead of 500!
    Our whole band felt like crap and depressed for a week!
    But like you said! all there is to do is go back to the shed write some more songs and hope the next one is better!
  4. JWC

JWC Banned

Oct 4, 2000
    Right Tim Tool. Beer is definitely not the answer to the problem. It slows down your reflexes and hinders your creativity on stage. However, I suggest acid. Then it won't make a damn how much the audience hates you, because you will be having the time of your life in la la land.
  5. Basser_Instinct

Feb 2, 2001
    My band's second gig was a disaster on my part. I had just had my head fixed and picked it up like 20 mins b4 the show. Needless to say, It was a fiasco I hope never happens again. My head was Trning itself off and on wheneber IT thought it would be a good time to.
  6. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Over the course of 2-3 years, we played some gigs where the bar staff were basically the only people there. Even at that, we played out hearts out. You gotta keep your head into it and not let drugs and alcohol affect your ability to play.

We titled our 3rd recording "Tables and Chairs".
  7. LOL!!! I remember that!!! Whew!!! We've had dream gigs and nightmares from Hell!! Hey Matthew,after you start getting more and more gigs under your belt you'll let certain things roll off your back,it just takes time.The crappy gigs definitely help you to remember the good ones and you appreciate them more.
    Sean,what about after that gig at the Atlantis in NC??? Hee!Hee!Hee! Doh!!!
  8. dj falkroy

dj falkroy

Dec 27, 2000
    We played a show at a frat party about a month ago. We had to go on at nine, and as of 8 our drummer was no where to be found. We had to go collect him from his dorm room (He was pouting because of the early playing time) and set up all our stuff in like 20 minutes. There were about thirty people there. We were playing outdoors and it was like 40 degrees. Needless to say we played like sh*t, the sound was bad, and we were all pissed at each other. Our drummer kept missing changes and screwing up the ends of the songs. For a couple days it made me question playing music, then we kicked the drummer out :). NOw I feel a lot better.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    When we have a bad gig, I forget about it the instant I turn off the power switch to the PA. It's history.
  10. jimstick

Dec 8, 2000
    Munjibunga,I agree. Just try to have FUN. Don't think about how much money or many people are there. You could be doing something alot worse during that time that your playing. My attitude (most of the time) is be thankful you are able to play music. Cherish every second of the gig or practice,you only live once.