Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bad Speaker in my new Goliath Senior?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SHIFTGREEN, Feb 3, 2003.

1. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    Hey, some probably knew I got a new Goliath Senior last weeek. I noticed Friday night that when I hit certain strings hard , especialy my "b" string, my top left speaker sounds weird. Imagine having a peice of tape on your cone or somewhere on your speaker, and half of it is just dangling free, now picture what it would sound like when you hit a string with the tape dangling...i cant describe the sound but it sounds like a peice of tape is dangling, only there is no tape on it, and its not loud by any means, and its only for a split second right at first ,but when i hit it hard it is noticble and it is deffinetly from the top left speaker. Any suggestions on what it could be, i may have to take it to my dealer and have him order a new driver from swr since its under warranty. you guys think that would work? instead of me having to ship my whole cab off? I hope its nothign big, like where ican fix without having to have my dealer look at it, i swear its only a week old ... anyway, thanx.

2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    It's new? At first I thought you might need some reconing but if it's new just get a replacement.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Does the shop have another one? If they do, insist on a swap and get a new cabinet.

At any rate, it's new and under warranty so they sound take good care of you!!!

4. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    hey, unfortunatly he does most of his buisness over the net. So i cant swap cabs, more than likely i will have get himn to order a new speaker. but i just hope swr will let me change my own speakers. b/c i dont want to ship off the whole cab just for that.

5. I ordered brand new speakers from SWR and found one of them to be bad. (Voice Coil Rub).

They took care of it for me for no charge.
    Just the hassle.

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Check the center dome on the speaker. SWR has gotten some defective drivers from PAS, that the center dome covers were installed egg shaped, causing them to tear away. I had this happen to my goliath sr, and SWR was great about taking care of it. (2 free recones) Call Rehan Jacobs at SWR, great guy to deal with, and always willing to help!

7. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    hey am not worried about them not charging me, its just that i live in North carolina, and i do not want to ship my cabinet to them. Did they send the speakers to your house? or did they come through a dealer? how long did it take before you got them? and was it hard to recone or change the drivers yourself? oh, and my center domes arent egg shaped i looke and they all look fine. i dont know what it is. i just know that it sounds different than my other 5.

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    The egg shape most likely isn't visible. Check for any kind of tearing around the perimeter of the dome. If you are sure it is that speaker making the noise, contact rehan, he will give you a number to write on the package....all you need to do is send in the speaker in question. Call Rehan Jacobs at SWR service, he will get you taken care of.

9. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I had that problem with two of my speakers in my avatar cab. Dave said that sometimes in shipping, a magnet used in sorting will pinch the voice coil, giving it that rattling kind of sound that you're probably getting. Something like that could have happened in it's shipping along the line. More likely than not, your SWR dealer will get you a new driver for your Goliath.

10. Rehan is the MAN!!!:)

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Yes he is.....Rehan is a lot of the reason I will stay loyal to SWR for a long time to come!

12. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    nothing was wrong with it, the guy looked at it and saw that the little rubber thing that goes around the speaker was a little loose at the bottome so it would vibrate when i hit a string.
    Anyhow, what complimants this cabinet?
    SOB, or big ben, or a bigbertha? i need a little more low end and would like to see about getting one of those above and stack.

13. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    HOLY HELL BATMAN! :eek:

14. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Are you sure you don't just need more power?

Lower frequencies tend to need more power to support them than higher frequencies...

Have you tried the senior with other heads and still needed more low end? If you got another cab, you'd also need a new head since the 4004 isn't stable below 4 ohms...

15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I'd also go with the bigger head, my sr. with my bass 750 is enough to inflict some serious db's

16. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    yeah i know that, im talking in months and not days..I played my senior through a mackie 800, and it had more power but it did not change my tone, or make it any deeper. i can get a mackie 800 and hook it up to my effects input/output signal, and use my blend as too how much volume i give my second amp.
    then maybe i could use the second amp to power the second cab.

17. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yes, props to Rehan - he's been great to deal with.

Sounds like you may have fixed your problem. If you did need to send the speaker back to SWR, you could remove the problem speaker and send just the one back to the factory.

Keep in mind that if SWR considers the speaker to have been subject to abuse, it won't be replaced under warranty. Given your post last week about your experience with this cab, I think it's a possibility that SWR might make that call. I hope that doesn't happen to you, but don't rule out the possibility if you wind up sending it in. :)

18. SHIFTGREEN

SHIFTGREEN

Nov 11, 2002
    NC
    Secretdonkey- its all good, I emailed SWR and told them about my situation and what i was playing my cab through, and they said that even if wide open and clipping it would be likely that it would affect my cab, b/c it doesnt get close to 1000watts. of course as i have stated i never played it wide open so i was never worried about it anyway.
    thanks again for your concern though.